Ask a Mental Health Expert
12 Mental Health Experts are Online Now.
A Question is Answered Every 11 seconds!
Ask an Expert >

Our partner

It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:42 pm

News News of Psychforums : Psychology and Mental Health forum.

Site map of Psychforums : Psychology and Mental Health forum. » Forum : Psychforums : Psychology and Mental Health forum.

Psychology and Mental Health forum.

Unable to feel empathy for other people

I know others here have talked about intensely feeling other people's problems, but I wonder is there anyone else who feels the opposite. I can be very good at comforting someone when they are upset, but apart from that, I feel lost with it. It's like if they don't attach an emotion to it, then there's no way that I can. eg if they had a family member who was very sick, unless they provided ...
Read more : Unable to feel empathy for other people | Views : 16151 | Replies : 21 | Forum : Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

Re: Veins Problem in just 15?

Hi, bellagio! You should ask your doctor. I'm sure they will be able to help you.
Read more : Re: Veins Problem in just 15? | Views : 798 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Childhood Disorder NOS Forum

Episodes of delusional/paranoid thinking

Has anyone experienced this?

One example is I went through an episode earlier this year where I devalued my boyfriend and started having extremely paranoid thoughts about him. All of a sudden I was suspicious and thought he was a very scary and bad person. I was convinced that he was going to kill me or kill someone in my family. I had no legitimate reason to think this. He'd never indicated being violent. It ...
Read more : Episodes of delusional/paranoid thinking | Views : 2466 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

HFA and The Uncanny Valley

I just read a post on Slashdot claiming that the Uncanny Valley effect has finally been explained. The article proposes some rather obvious ideas. However, an Aspie posted a comment linking the uncanny valley to the perception of HFAs.

I had never made that link before, but it does go a long way in explaining the seemingly extreme reactions we experience - reactions that seem (to us) to be out of proportion to our behaviour.
Read more : HFA and The Uncanny Valley | Views : 603 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Asperger's Syndrome Forum

Amy Winehouse

Does anybody think Amy's parents might have been Narcs? She suffered form insincerity, low self esteem, anorexia, bulimia, depression, self harm, and drug use.
She desperately wanted to be loved, desperately. She would cling on to the men in her life, including her adored father Mitch who was largely absent when she was young. A very dependent personality, lost, lonely and needy.
But why?
If shed had such a 'devoted' mother and father why was ...
Read more : Amy Winehouse | Views : 7420 | Replies : 46 | Forum : Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

I just realised something stupid I did while hypomanic

It just hit me today something stupid I did in April while I was in a hypomanic state.

I entered myself into a cycling marathon 94.7km (about 59mi) in length. :shock: And the race is in November!! :shock:
Just to put this into context, I haven't touched a bicycle since high school! Now I gotta start traing on a ...
Read more : I just realised something stupid I did while hypomanic | Views : 378 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Bipolar Disorder Forum

Ring of Familiarity

Sound like anyone you know?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/nyregion/a-revenge-plot-so-intricate-the-prosecutors-were-pawns.html?src=me&ref=general

This has a lot of similarity with my experience with the legal systems with my ex-wife. Intricate webs of deceit that I had to unravel rather than she had to prove.

Interesting the comments for the guy's mother.
Read more : Ring of Familiarity | Views : 136 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

need some help!

i'm a 20 something year old guy who thinks he has BPD. i think i've always thought i had it at an even younger age but it wasn't until recently that i realized something was indeed wrong with me.

i've seen many psychologists, psychiatrists, and therapists t since i was 14 and i've been off and on numerous amounts of antidepressants. i've only been diagnosed w/ having GAD and depression. i'm so lost as to ...
Read more : need some help! | Views : 117 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

What Mood Stabilisers Have Given You Best Mood Stabilisation

Which mood stablisers have you trialled?

Anticonvulsants:
Valproic Acid (Depakote/Epilim)
Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
Carbamazapine (Tegretol)
Oxcarbazapine (Trileptal)

Antipsychotics:
Risperidone (Risperdal)
Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
Quetiapine (Seroquel)
Ziparasidone (Zeldex)
Aripiprazole (Abilify)
Amisulpride
Chlorpromazine (Largactil)
Asenapine (Saphris)

Miscellaneous:
Lithium
Gabapentin (Neurontin)
Topiramte (Topamax)
Omega 3
Other

Which mood stablisers did you have a reaction to or could not metabolise?

Which mood stablisers did your body accept but gave you side effects?

Which mood stablisers are you on now, and what ...
Read more : What Mood Stabilisers Have Given You Best Mood Stabilisation | Views : 1481 | Replies : 27 | Forum : Bipolar Disorder Forum

BPD"S, Frank and non conformist?-TRIGGERING

Well the 3 I know aee very frank and very non conformist. Once you get to know them they are quick to tell you what they think of you, what you are saying, and what you are doing. And they are so easy to get into an argument with you. I have to walk on eggshells so as to not to set them off. And they dont like to be diisagreed with. Well, no one ...

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 1793890 • Total topics 152735 • Total members 159120