Our partner

DP/DR cases solved with prof help. Experiences?

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

DP/DR cases solved with prof help. Experiences?

Postby Spirit99 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:32 pm

I'd like to ask you to briefly tell your successful stories of solved depersonalization or derealization disorder cases by the help of a professional as a therapist regardless of his/her theoretic orientation. I'd appreciate if you tell your path step-by-step, I mean from the beginnings of your symptoms (age, triggering situation if any, etc) until your "lowest point" of desperation (if any) and then the choice of asking help to a pro and your improvements through the therapy to finally get your success.
I'd like to especially know what caused your DP/DR disorder, of course if you're sure of that: your therapist said that directly to you or you've got a diagnosis by a MD (psychiatrist) or you just think you suffered of DP/DR because you recognized the well known symptoms though your therapist said nothing about that (eg. Freudian oriented therapists are often laconic about a diagnosis). Moreover please try to show as may details dealing with the disorder as you can -and wish-, eg. if you got drugs, if now you still experience DP/DR moments just sometimes and what are the triggering situations that cause them and if you previously failed to fix these diseases by yourself or with another prof and, in this last case, what went wrong and why.
Thanks in advance.
Spirit99
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: DP/DR cases solved with prof help. Experiences?

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:25 pm

The way these forums usually work is that a person shares their own experiences and concerns because they are looking for support and advice. Once you have described why you’ve been experiencing, then others here can share similar experiences and tell you what they’ve found to be helpful. You have a lot of questions, and without knowing the reason why you’re asking them, I’m not inclined to share any personal information with you.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:53 am

Postby Wally58 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Exactly. This is a peer-support driven forum.
If you are doing study or survey inquiries, please register here for approval first:

surveys-studies/topic44450.html

Please understand that this procedure is for everyone's protection and safety here. :D

forum-rules.php
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 am

Postby Spirit99 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:52 pm

I was a patient and I carried a long psychoanalytic therapy with a psychiatrist due to a probable DP/DR disorder though he never confirmed this diagnosis. I experienced the so called abreaction and, on this basis, I thought I identified a traumatic event in my early childhood that caused my DP and it was a near-to-death risk experience. I stopped my therapy some years ago and my DP disorder still goes on but now I'm thinking to start a new one with another professional. I read some books about DP/DR cases exposed by professionals of different theoretic orientations to get more informed though I'm not a psychology student but until now I've never found a good books/web source with a collection of solved DP/DR cases so I'm here. In other words my goal is to understand what are the "keys" that lead a therapy for a DP/DR patient to a "complete" success, I mean with the interruption of DP/DR symptoms and not only by understanding its cause. I see that my first request were very generic but I'm very curious about your stories anyway, if I've to be more specific, I'd like to hear and get deeper into solved DP/DR cases caused by an early trauma as mine to get now more elements to choose my personal path.
Spirit99
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Spirit99 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Wally58 wrote:Exactly. This is a peer-support driven forum.

No reply after 5 days. @Wally58 you're a moderator and you joined this forum since 2013 so I'd want to ask you if you know if there has ever been some member that solved his/her dp/dr disorder with prof help and wrote here about that, just to understand if nobody has answered just because there's nobody that solved this disease.
Spirit99
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Wally58 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 pm

This isn't an extremely active forum, but give it awhile and hopefully someone will chime in. Professional help can assist with certain cases I'm sure.
It all has to start with a confirmed diagnosis. Past trauma may or may not be the root cause. Many of us can get past grave traumatic experiences and move on with the help of medication and therapy. Keep exploring your options. Best of luck to you. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 am

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:27 pm

It's not a Sherlock Holmes kind of thing, where "cases" are "solved" by a professional.

This kind of disorder isn't helped by identifying the cause as if that's somehow a magical solution. It used to be thought that the helpful part of therapy was just talking about stuff--that if you spoke about it to someone else, then somehow that helped. Nowadays it's recognized that it's the relationship that provides the healing.

If that early experience affected you that way, it's likely because you didn't have a caregiver who gave you the support to process it--who neglected your emotional needs and left you to cope with the aftermath alone. You would need to find a therapist with whom you felt trust and attachment, and who could help you process the feelings related to this past experience.

I could be completely wrong, so I'm sorry if this isn't helpful. It's just that your approach and the way you're asking for information is very intellectualized and distant--not connected with the feelings that are at the root of the difficulty.

People use dissociation when feelings are intolerable, and young children can be easily overwhelmed by strong feelings and turn to dissociation as a coping strategy if they are given no other way to regulate their emotions. If that is a pattern from early childhood, then they develop avoidance of their feelings, and then an extra layer of avoidance of the feelings about their feelings. (For example, having a strong fear about feeling or expressing anger--the fear would be the feeling about the feeling of anger.)

So perhaps you can look for a therapist who specializes in the treatment of dissociative disorders (and doesn't only say that they do--unfortunately there are many of those), and with whom you can start to build trust and attachment.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:53 am

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum