Our partner

Borderline depression and resource links

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Re: Borderline depression and resource links

Postby AliceWonders » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 pm

In looking at this post I'm not sure but it seems as if the sexual abuse plays a major part in suicide rates of BPD's and I'm not exactly sure 'why' that is???

In my own situation, I've thought about it, 'tried' to do (hoped it didn't work & it didn't thank God!) and this past summer I came closest to the real thing than I've ever come before. But never in any of these instances did my childhood sexual abuse come in as a factor in the forefront of my mind as a reason 'why' I wanted/derserved to die.

I'm not sure about others who have contyemplated suicide, but certainly although my sexual abuse lends itself to my over feelings of worthlessness as a person, it was never a 'main factor' in my desire for death...

just my 2c
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth~Oscar Wilde

Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together~Eugene Ionesco

Once you chose hope anything is possible~ Christopher Reeves
AliceWonders
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The best BPD website( has everything you need to know)

Postby Wermfud » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Bewilderness I agree totally. SSRIs including Prozac have done NOTHING for me, maybe even made it worse. They make me feel like I'm taking acid or something. I think this information is really out of date. The fact is, there is still no "cure" or real effective treatment for BPD aside from CBT and a lot of constant work on the patient's part.
Wermfud
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby andie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks so much for this link, finding information on Borderline is quite hard as every site tends to say the EXACT same things, genenally listing the DSM and thats all.

Do you believe BPD can be treated with the use of medication?? I'm currently on Serequel to help me sleep as ive had insomnia or 2yrs, but my psychiatrist wants to take me off this as she doesnt do it "off label" she also says that Borderline cannot be treated with medications.

p.s im in therapy, have completed CBT (which helped me loads) and am about to start CAT in the new year as well as DBT (ive done a few individual sessions in the past)
andie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: help with resources please, ty

Postby flaviares » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 pm

There is a website that offers very good self-help resources based on DBT skills. Very useful to get your head round the DBT model and the skills used.

www.dbtselfhelp.com

Hope you find it helpful!
flaviares
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: ~Books and resources websites for us~

Postby Nurselonelylove » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm reading, "The Buddha & The Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder Through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, & Online Dating", by Kiera Van Gelder. It's a personal memoir of her recovery. It's a great book, as it really gets into the behaviors and emotions that we deal with everyday.
Nurselonelylove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Postby isoko49 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:53 am

I nearly cried - the description of how life falls apart because of something "simple" going wrong was spot on. I'm posting a link to it on my Facebook for my friends and family to read because it describes it so much better than I've ever been able to.

As for the "broken brain" theory - that's exactly the way I view it and it gives me hope. It's how I've explained it to my young children too - although one of them did then ask if my head rattled when I shook it...bless.

Personally, I hate it when sites and books go on about how it's all behavioural and learnt behaviour etc. To me, that makes me feel like I had a choice and I chose to behave in all these unhelpful ways. Seriously, would anyone behave like we do given the choice? Of course we wouldn't. I won't argue that environment plays a role, but sometimes I feel too much emphasis is put on that. Not all of us had abusive childhoods, but certainly an invalidating one didn't help me. But even if my mum had hugged me and told me it was OK to get upset over things, and people at school hadn't teased me for crying when I got something wrong, I STILL WOULD HAVE HAD BPD! I'm genetically programmed to fall apart when I get something wrong, or my schedule is changed or whatever.

Anyway - that's my view. I'm sure others will have other views and we'll all believe we're right (because that's the way we think - black and white, right and wrong). LOL x
Borderline Personality Disorder
Self-harmer and suicidal ideation
Chronic depression
Avoidant PD
Dependent PD
Social and general anxiety disorders
2 and a half years of my life wasted in hospital
2 wonderful children
...and a partridge in a pear tree
isoko49
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Comingoutofmyshell » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:10 pm

I swear by :

"Sometimes I act crazy" - Jerold J. Kreisman, M.D., and Hal Straus

Not sure if it has been posted here before but I really found it easy to read and related well to it. I'm about to re-read incase I've missed something and I never re-read books :)
Comingoutofmyshell
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:27 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Comingoutofmyshell » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:13 pm

The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide - Alex Chapman (Author), Kim Gratz (Author)

Is also supposed to be very good. I'm just about to start reading...
Comingoutofmyshell
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:27 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Greatexpectations » Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 pm

isoko49

Just to say I agree with you. For some maybe it is nurture, but for others it is genetic. I think a family member has BPD
Have you ever found any meds that really help?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao Tzu
Greatexpectations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CharleyBo » Sun May 22, 2011 1:53 am

http://www.amazon.com/Borderline-Person ... 251&sr=1-2

I'm working my way through this one and I LOVE it. It's something of an alternative to DBT, I think--which didn't work very well for me.
CharleyBo
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:27 am

PreviousNext

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post