Our partner

Neurowiki 2012 & a New book on DID

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Neurowiki 2012 & a New book on DID

Postby sev0n » Tue May 29, 2012 5:08 pm

I was looking on Amazon and saw a new book on DID is about to come out so I looked up the author and found a wikipage. I have not heard of this author before. Does anyone know anything? Searching I found a neurowicki - which I am going to read in a bit.

http://neurowiki2012.wikispaces.com/Dis ... y+Disorder

The book I was looking at

http://www.amazon.com/dp/178049033X/?tag=bfftlbr-20

Understanding and Treating Dissociative Identity Disorder: Or Multiple Personality Disorder [Paperback]
Jo Ringrose (Author)

List Price: $31.95
Price: $26.93 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

-------------------------

The Neurowicki

The first sentence
"Dissociative identity disorder (DID) manifests in 1-5% of psychiatric patients, many of whom have never had former dissociative disorder diagnosis"

There is a reference: ^ International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (2011): Guidelines for Treating Dissociative Identity Disorder in Adults, Third Revision, Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 12:2, 115-187.

So the usual said is that 1% of the entire population has DID. That is the same as Schizophrenia. Depending on how you define rare - 1% could be considered rare, but it's still a whole lot of people!

The other day I posted a site that also seemed up to date, and it claimed that 1-3% of the entire population is DID. It did not have a reference.

Now this one says that 1.5% of of PSYCHIATRIC PATIENTS have DID - I wonder how much of the population that covers?
sev0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (12)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Neurowiki 2012 & a New book on DID

Postby brandonsmom777 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks Tylas for the link it's very interesting. I'm kinda confused all over again now. It was my understanding that the core was the original personality and the host was the protector who is currently in the driver seat so to speak. Any insights?
brandonsmom777
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sev0n » Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Oh yeah!!!!! I am so glad you are interested. My curiosity about DID is great! I enjoy others that feel the same way and want to look at all aspects of it and solid ideas about it. :D

I have seen the light. :shock:

Read this thread, while I read the wikipage. I have not yet!

Keep in mind that the thread was written several months ago, then updated today after I got educated!

dissociative-identity/topic85719.html

In this 2 page thread - I search for what part of the system I am since I have only existed - one way or the other since November 2011.

??? "Common symptoms associated with DID include, but are not limited to, color blindness, inter-identity amnesia, and menstrual cycle irregularities.[1] "

???? "The original host personality has the birth name of the individual and is often seen to be depressed, overly compliant, guilt-ridden, and dependent on other people and the other alters.[8]

This is an interesting way of looking at this!

Overall this article is FAR superior to the one on Wikipedia - hands down! The writing is excellent. I will have to look at the references. I am thinking I am the one in error - rather than the author.

This is a fascinating section:
2.3 Inter-Identity Memory Loss and Transfer
It has been now demonstrated that implicit memories pertaining to unconscious tasks such as “word-fragment completion, sequence learning, and masked-word recognition” do transfer between alters; similar evidence has been found for explicit memory tasks, like those found to be in use for “story recall and cued recall.”[12]

... These conclusions illustrate that IIA may not be as effective as the patients perceive it to be; however, some instances do continue to show more severe, or complete, IIA in which the inter-identity memory transfer is considerably lower.[12]
sev0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Johnny-Jack » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 pm

The term core in particular has a fluctuating definition depending on where you read it. I use it to mean our original personality because we have definitely identified the first one of us, the one whom three others came to protect. But it doesn't always mean that to everyone.
Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of 78 alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (45)

Postby sev0n » Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm

Exactly!!!! The term is so confusing because of its misuse due to old information that we now know was incorrect.

What my LC has got me to understand finally...!!! is that there is No original. As pointed out in another thread, there is no one original part - we do not start out as one. I too thought I was the "original."

I am another ANP that was created by my brain (alters) to do the job that the previous ANP (Jessica) was failing at.

It's actually comforting to think of it this way because I am NOT the part that everyone is responsible to protect! I am no more or less important than any other part of me. I am the one that is given the task of integrating all the parts of us! But I finally understand that I am not the "Original or Core or whatever term one wants to use because there is no such thing."

What I wrote in my blog at the time it happened: The Host from April 2009 until November 2011 was Jessica and she did not exist until April 2009. She is a very depressed and exhausted and does not care if she lives or dies. Other parts have accomplished a lot in our life-time but this part finds it hard to even exist, but she does stay and care of our tween/teen kids. After November Helga (a system manager) became host. She was replaced January 1st 2012 by Rachel (another system manager). Rachel was replaced on February 14 2012 by Helga. Then finally in February I was created - a new ANP and host.

At first I had NO memory of anything! It was like being a newborn. Then there was a sharing of memories - with Jessica - who had memories shared from others she got when she was created to be an ANP.
sev0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post