Our partner

PID-5

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

PID-5

Postby Una+ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 am

On our thread about the Dissociative Experiences Scale today SelfStranger2 mentioned another assessment instrument, the Personality Inventory for DSM-5 (Adult), and gave some scores:

SelfStranger2 wrote:Negative affect: 1.7
Detachment: 2.6
Antagonism: 1.8
Disinhibition: 1.9
Psychoticism: 2.6

Overall not too bad, I think.

I agree! I scored myself on the PID-5 today. A lot of items I would have scored differently during my crisis, and only during my crisis, which shows how these so-called traits can be not more or less fixed traits but rather changeable states.

Anyway, here are my "personality trait facets" that are above 1 on a scale 0 to 3.

2.38 Unusual Beliefs & Experiences
1.83 Grandiosity
1.57 Risk Taking
1.42 Perceptual Dysregulation
1.40 Withdrawal
1.31 Eccentricity
1.10 Hostility

And from all the facets the PID-5 calculates 5 Personality Trait Domains, all presumably pathological:

0.33 Negative Affect
0.86 Detachment
0.81 Antagonism
0.00 DIsinhibition
1.70 Psychoticism

Not on the PID-5 instrument but in the back pages of DSM-5 there is a theoretical / research table relating the above facets to DSM-5 personality disorders. I just barely meet the criteria for diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, due to my score of 1.57 (cutoff 1.5) for Risk Taking. This is a spurious and rather silly result! I score that high on Risk Taking for two reasons: (1) career training and experience and (2) having been in psychotherapy!

I totally own the elevated Psychoticism score. Only as for most of us here it isn't psychosis, it is dissociation. Sigh.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: PID-5

Postby ThatPerson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 am

can you post that link on here...? I'd like to do it.

It'd be interesting to see if different alters scored different things, actually, don't you think?
Miestro:(M)
Steve:(M) Gaurdian. Very blunt, and can be a bit of a jerk, but honorable.
Alexandr:(M)Logical distant and pragmatic.
Ace:(M)Emotionless and logical. Systems manager.
Binary:System programmer.
Daimen:(M)(Day-men) Eight years old, hurt and shy, but happy and easily pleased.
Fenris:Yearling wolf.
ThatPerson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am

Postby SelfStranger2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 am

Further:

Anhedonia: 2.25
Anxiousness: 2.78
Callousness: 1.57
Deceitfulness: 2.1
Depresssiveness: 2.07
Distractibility: 2.44
Eccentricity: 2.85
Emotional lability: 1.86
Grandiosity: 1.67
Hostility: 1.6
Impulsivity: 1.5
Intimacy avoidance: 2.83
Irresponsibilty: 1.714
Manipulativeness: 1.6
Perceptual dysregulation: 2.25
Perserveration: 2.11
Restricted affectivity: 1.43
Rigid perfectionism: 1.4
Risk taking: 1.286
Submissiveness: 2.5
Suspiciousness: 2.71
Unusual beliefs & experiences: 2.63
Withdrawal: 2.8

Una+ would you possibly be so kind as to let me know what the DSM-5 might say about these scores? I mean, if you have time and you feel like it, of course. Thanks.
SelfStranger2
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 am

Postby salted lipstick » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 am

Is there a link? I'm not sure I'm up for the amount of maths required to score the versions I found on google. It'd be better if there is a site that scores it for you...
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm

Postby SelfStranger2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 am

salted lipstick wrote:Is there a link? I'm not sure I'm up for the amount of maths required to score the versions I found on google. It'd be better if there is a site that scores it for you...

I did mine in an excel spreadsheet. Made the maths easier for me.

Una+ wrote:SelfStranger2, there is a graph of DES scores in a general population (of college students in Canada) here: The Colin A. Ross Institute: Dissociative Experiences Scale. Your current DES score is high enough that I expect you are in a lot of distress (same for your PID-5 score, but I'll go into that in the other thread). I know I was in severe distress when my score was that high!

Wow. That graph makes me feel... well... not good. I was expecting the general population to score higher, like maybe it's normal, everyone goes through such experiences in their lives... Thank you. I appreciate your help and providing information.

Una+ wrote:This too shall pass.
I (think I) hope you're right. I'm anxious, like... what would be on the other side? Like, maybe I'm afraid I guess, and being broken is somehow better. I just don't know :( Sorry, that's my own crap I got to figure out. Or not, I guess.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
SelfStranger2
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 am

Postby Johnny-Jack » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:15 pm

I think how you interpret the instructions will have a big effect on your score. I scored above 0.5 on only 4 of the 25 personality trait facets and 1.11 (anhedonia) was my highest.

Johnny took the survey first and since he's our most functional alter or at least our public alter, we knew the numbers would be lower, but I took the whole thing and adjusted some so my assessment would be included.

I took the statements literally and if the statement was something we wouldn't or usually wouldn't say about ourself (including to ourself), we picked "very false or often false."

As an example, #15. Do I usually do what others think I should? Yeah, probably. But would we describe ourself that way? Almost never since we don't think that way.

A lot of energy in life went into learning how to fit in and not be or be seen as crazy, so in many ways we're pretty conventional. So I don't know how much that reflects our mental state or our self-perception. Or maybe our issues don't show up so much on this survey.

0.39 negative affect
0.54 detachment
0.00 antagonism
0.36 disinhibition
0.06 psychoticism
Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of 78 alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am
Blog: View Blog (45)

Postby Johnny-Jack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:00 am

The PID-5 is intended to inform diagnostic assesment of 6 out of 10 DSM-defined personality disorders:

• Schizotypal personality disorder
• Antisocial personality disorder
• Borderline personality disorder
• Narcissistic personality disorder
• Avoidant personality disorder
• Obsessive compulsive personality disorder

Many alters, including hosts, of a DID system can present with symptoms of any of these. Many "symptoms" may be identified by clinicians because of switching among alters or because of observed differences. Needless to say, an individual clinician's education, experience, beliefs and biases will affect any assessment or diagnosis.

I'm sure if others would have taken this, or all before we knew about the DID, we would have seen different results.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Johnny-Jack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:20 am

Oh, yeah, for the PID-5, click here.

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum