Hello All, I know nobody can give me a diagnosis so I am only looking for opinions but I find myself wondering if my husband has asperger's and I'm hoping that maybe someone can give me a little insight. I am 30 and he is 32, we have been married for 3 years and together 5, we have a 20 month old little girl together. I have always found his behavior to be somewhat bizarre and he has always been a bit socially awkward and ever since the birth of my daughter things have become much more intense. I think writing a list of his behaviors that seem unusual might be the easiest way for me to describe what I am dealing with here:
1) He is very rigid in his thought process, and extremely close minded and not open to new ideas, people or places.
2) goes off on obsessive tangents - for example, he is suddenly into golf even though he has not golfed much since I have met him, but now that he is obsessing on it, he has to have EVERYTHING that has to do with golf - golfing magazines, special golf shoes, special golf shirts, etc..
3) is extremely uncomfortable with intimacy
4) never says anything nice to me or gives me compliments but is openly critical and painfully honest at times
5) seems to fake his facial expressions, especially when it's a smile
6)he is very uptight and holds his body very tensely all the time
7)lacks empathy and can't ever understand where I am coming from with my thoughts and emotions
never shows emotion and doesn't seem to experience any
9) made me get rid of my cats and then couldn't understand why I was crying for 2 days straight afterwards
10) left me in the hospital alone- crying, in pain and scared to death- after the birth of my child.
11) gets extremely anxious in public places where there are other people and I have stopped inviting him to social events with me because he embarrasses me with his awkwardness
12) speaks unnecessarily loud
13) has obsessive compulsive tendencies
these are just some of the behaviors that have me wondering about the state of his mind. for years I have just assumed that he is a huge anti-social, jerk and I blamed his parents for spoiling him rotten but now looking at my big list of strange behavior i wonder, is there something more to it.
So what do you think? Is he just downright mean or could there be something to look into here?