Our partner

I think I might have tourettes?

Tourette's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I think I might have tourettes?

Postby Randomgirlx » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 pm

So over the past couple of years, I've been getting 'tics' but I don't know if they are actually tics. I'm 14 and a girl. I think I might have tourettes or atleast a tic disorder.

The longest one I've had ever since it started and I still have now is where I raise and lower my eyebrows- this is my most frequent tic and I hate it because I'm worried people will think I'm frowning at them (and I've had people come up to me and ask me if I'm ok cuz they think I'm upset or something?) and I usually have to look away or at the ground to do it. I just get this feeling of uneasiness in my eyebrows and they don't feel 'right' and so I lift them up and down until they do feel right. Occasionally, that's not enough and I physically use my hands to push them up and down. The severity of this tic varies from time to time but I have gotten headaches because of my eyebrow raising before but luckily, it's not that bad right now. I seem to do it more when I think about it and I'm aware that it's there?

I have one where I blink hard or really fast, or I sometimes roll my eyes and close them- same with the eyebrow thing- it just doesn't 'feel right' and I do it until it feels right.

I had another tic around a year ago and though it only lasted a few weeks, it was the most uncontrollable one I've had. I would constantly scrunch my nose and u scrunch really fast like ten twenty times. Then one day, it just stopped and was gone.

One I have at the moment is where I'll like 'press' my nostrils side to side (I don't really know how to explain this) and then I'd have to sniff my nose in and out several times. I do a lot of nose sniffing actually when I don't actually have any snot- I just need it to feel right and normal and I do it until it does.

One last one which isn't really a tic but I don't really know. It only happens in the winter or just when it's really cold. My hands get cold and I have this like 'routine' of touching my face and neck to warm my hands and sometimes it gets really hard to stop- I like press my fists to my eyelids and then my cheek then my neck, forehead etc. this has disrupted things before because I like 'have' to stop whatever I'm doing to do this. A similar thing happens when my ears are cold and I fold them and press them against itself, in class, I stop whatever I doing or writing and I do it until it feels right and it gets annoying sometimes. But once it's the summer, this completely disappears (and it's great!).

My dad and others has noticed these tics before but he never does anything about it or takes it seriously. But I also tend to hide them by turning my face away (I pretty much only have facial tics) because I'm embarrassed and don't want people to see. I don't know if I have like a tic disorder or what?
I don't know whether I should see a doctor or just leave it
Randomgirlx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I think I might have tourettes?

Postby TouretteSpy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:26 am

Tourette Syndrome is a common, and vast, neurological spectrum. Not one person with Tourette Syndrome has the exact same presentation of symptoms.

Some estimate the prevalence of Tourette's to be 1%, but most cases are mild- involving facial grimaces or eye blinking.

Yes, some psychiatrists will frequently differentiate between 'tics' and 'Tourette's', but Tourette Syndrome forms such a vast spectrum that even so called 'alternate tic disorders' are probably on the spectrum as well.

Now, what is important is not the type of tics you are having, but their pattern/ structure. You have provided several clues that possibly indicate a mild form of Tourette's.

Firstly, most 'tic-like habits' don't just spontaneously appear, then suddenly disappear. But this pattern is extremely common in Tourette Syndrome.

Secondly, the post-preteen years, due to significant neurological changes, tend to involve an increase in Tourette's symptoms.

Thirdly, you mentioned a need for things to feel 'just right'. This is characteristic of Obsessional Tourette's (a hybrid of TS and OCD)- who frequently report the same thing.

The three reasons above distinguish these 'tics' from typical childhood habits or mannerisms.

Now, should you see a doctor? Most people with extremely mild Tourette's never do (they view their tics as a mild annoyance). Ultimately, there's no urgency to do so- Tourette's is not a life threatening condition. But if they seriously bother you, then there are medications that work for some people.

Many tend to report their tics starting in earlier childhood, some during pre-adolescence, and a few during late adolescence or even adulthood. Others have had Tourette's their entire lives. In fact, current research seems to suggest Tourette's can start at any age, and not just the developmental years- as the outdated model of Tourette's suggests.

I've been living with Tourete Syndrome for 8 years (with coprolalia- involuntary swearing). Even I find the tics to be just a mild annoyance, and have stopped attempts to medicate myself because of the Tourette's.

Although the DSM-5 states you must have 'severe dysfunction' related to the tics, some people are not bothered by their tics at all- even in cases of pure coprolalia like mine.

The outdated model also states 'Tourette Syndrome' must include both motor and phonic tics. But I have no doubt in my mind this division is arbitrary. Phonic tics are a complex type of motor tic involving the vibrations of the vocal cords.
TouretteSpy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Postby tokinouta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Tourettespy summed it up perfectly. I might add that if it is Tourette Syndrome, just waiting it out can be effective. By the time you get into treat it, most likely the tic that is bothering you will change.
My son waits them out now. If he doesn't like one, he waits for it to change. This seems to make them shorter in duration. Some tics will only last a day or less.

Everyone with Tourette Syndrome is different, so if it keeps bothering you go to a doctor and see what they suggest. There might be some other issues as well.
tokinouta
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lulug715 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46 pm

I have basically all of these too.

The thing with the nostrils, I totally get that. It's mostly because I feel self-conscious and I always think I might have a runny nose or something.

And, with the eyebrows, same. Whenever my dad/his girlfriend get mad at me (my mom never does) my eyebrows always seem to move uncontrollably and I always have to smoosh them or move them or whatever to make them feel "right". Plus, the nerves in them always seem to keep moving around, so I always look like I'm surprised or something when stretching the nerves.

PLUS, I frequently roll my eyes into the back of my head, especially when I have a headache or head pain or if it just doesn't feel right.

I'm also always tapping my hand/fingers and people have told me it's a compulsive thing, but I literally cannot stop ever tapping my fingers. I have to physically sit on my hands when they're overtop each other and I still have to tap them, so if a song that I know comes on when I'm in the car or the grocery store, for example, I literally could not stop tapping. If someone bet $100 that I couldn't stop tapping my fingers for over 10 seconds, I would end up paying them $100.

These are a few tics I've noticed over the years but I'm not sure I have Tourette's.
lulug715
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:49 am

Postby Robynalexa03 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:18 pm

I believe I may have Tourettes aswell.

I punch my chest alot. And my legs ( thigh and knee) which has given me bruises. I also punch things in my way which I really do not intend to.

I also clear my throat a lot. And I also blink my eyes more rapidly and harder than normal blinks.

Another is when I blink hard (normally singularly at a time) I shake my head quite sharply.

All of these get a lot worse when I'm anxious about something. And when I'm having a panic attack I normally punch a lot more. My knuckles are now bruised and my chest and thighs constantly hurt.

Who should I see? (I'm a teen girl by the way)
Robynalexa03
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Tourette's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post