Our partner

The DID Debate [may trigger]

Specific diseases message board, open discussion, and online support group.

The DID Debate [may trigger]

Postby SkyewardSword » Tue May 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Note: This could be posted on the wrong board. I apologise if it should be somewhere else.

Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), previously known as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) is one of the most fascinating and lesser-known mental illnesses in day-to-day life.

In the past couple of decades, a debate about DID has seen the psychiatric community split in half: those who believe DID exists, and those who do not.

Within the group of people who believe DID exists, the disorder has also paved the way to a second splitting within the group: those who think DID is caused by traumatic events, and those who believe symptoms of the illness is caused by certain psychotherapeutic practices.

DID is certainly one of the most controversial mental health issues in the DSM-V. Where do your beliefs lie? Do you believe DID exists? If not, why not? If so, do you think they are due to trauma or induced by some psychotherapies? Why?

I'm interested.

Skye
Possible DID.

Skye (Host): 16 years of age
Kuro: 18-20 years of age. Possibly has ASPD. Be very careful when instigating a conversation with him.
Amelia: 11-13 years of age. Has only fronted for a few brief moments. Panphobia. Her presence is very comforting.
SkyewardSword
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The DID Debate

Postby EternalMystery » Thu May 21, 2015 1:50 pm

My understanding of DID was, it was caused by traumatic events that happened in a person's life while the psyche is still forming properly, usually by age 8. The splitting off happens because they can't cope with what is going on and another personality forms to deal with it. No idea how accurate that is.

I really can't see how psychotherapies can cause DID. Is the theory it happens because of hypnosis? I don't know how common it is or if it even happens, but I have no trouble believing it could. The mind is an amazing thing.
EternalMystery
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Postby Sonseearae » Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm

SkyewardSword wrote:DID is certainly one of the most controversial mental health issues in the DSM-V. Where do your beliefs lie? Do you believe DID exists? If not, why not? If so, do you think they are due to trauma or induced by some psychotherapies? Why?

I'm interested.

Skye

I can't think of a single belief that has aided me. This one included. So, do I believe it exists? Don't know, don't care. I watched my split occur; it was during trauma. Doesn't much matter to me what it's called - could be over active imagination, could be DID, could be this is all a dream and nothing is real. Doesn't change anything for us. We know who we are. We're the experts on us - not the docs, not the manual.
People confuse passionate with crazy all the time. Just to be clear, I am bat-$#%^ passionate.
Sonseearae
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby writeaboutit » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:02 am

I thought it was well known that DID was caused by early childhood trauma.

I've heard others try to rationale therapist abuse and the like... while the mind is fascinating, complex and full of amazing talents...I think that people overestimate the prevalence of abusive therapists. Who has the time to brainwash someone into believing awful traumatic memories? Furthermore, where can I learn to brainwash? I'm considering grad school.

I've never understood why people took the time to argue against its existence. Sure there are patients who over exaggerate symptoms, and pathologically lie to get attention, and I am not denying that therapists have hypnotized and taken advantage of patients (although granted, I think it is rare), but to ever say that DID does not exist just seems counter productive to learning about a disorder that has affected many people throughout history.
writeaboutit
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)

Postby bunnybug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:15 am

DID definitely does exist. There's a massive amount of evidence backing it up. I still think it's ridiculous there's this idea it's caused by unpredictable therapists, especially hypno therapists.
Do not be proud of your disorder, be proud it does not define you and your struggles with it.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:54 pm

Return to Specific Diseases