Our partner

Head MRI'd to look for "PTSD Brain"?

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

Head MRI'd to look for "PTSD Brain"?

Postby Traverse » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:41 am

I'm only new on here, & newly-diagnosed 3wks ago by a psychologist. I'm wondering if other PTSD folk have sought to have their heads MRI'd so that they can see if they have anatomical signs of a "PTSD Brain"? This is all new to me, so my apologies if this subject has already been covered elswhere & I missed it when I was searching.
Traverse
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Head MRI'd to look for "PTSD Brain"?

Postby Terry E. » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I recommend saving your money. I tried once and found zero interest in anyone in actually looking for what in needed to have looked for. I could have been asking them to find antennas and see if I was a Martian. A very Un Validating experience which cost from memory around $400 a few years ago.

If you found some professional in the med or pysch business who was driving your goal maybe. But doing it your self, maybe save your money.

If not I wish you luck and let us know how you go.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Head MRI'd to look for "PTSD Brain"?

Postby birdsong87 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:08 am

I had an MRI as part of the differential diagnosis (for dissociative amnesia). basically, if you are not part of a study where they look at the possible differences in great detail, nobody cares to look at your results so closely. they are fine if there is no tumor or bleeding or whatever that is causing the symptoms, you get sent home.
what would you do with MRI pictures anyway? it is not like its helping you to fix the problem.
for some who are not educated in physiology it might even be discouraging, thinking their brain is broken and can't be fixed when in reality neuroplasticity can make up for quite a lot.
brain scans are a lot of effort for little helpful results. unless you have a brain tumor.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post