Our partner

Can't sleep years after taking prednisone

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can't sleep years after taking prednisone

Postby czcpt » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:29 pm

Hello All, 36yo male here. From February to July 2019 I took prednisone 3.5 different times for 4 different run-ins with poison ivy. (stopped mid-way through the last one because at that time I knew for sure that it was not worth it to mess up my sleep like that). I have always went to sleep at 9PM and would sleep through the night good except if I drank too much water I would wake up once. Wake up time is 5AM. While on prednisone my sleep started to change. At about 9PM I would be able to fall asleep fine; but, then at about 1-2AM I would feel wide awake and many days I would not fall asleep until about 5AM.

In the last two years I have taken prednisone zero times and my sleep problems have still not went away. At 9PM, I still fall asleep fine; but, every single night I wake up for the first time between 1AM and 2AM. If I lifted weights, did intense exercise, did intense work outside earlier that same day, then that night the same thing happens where I can't go back to sleep until about 5AM. If I had a light day (no lifting, etc), then I will still wake up between 1AM and 2AM, and then for the rest of the night I go to sleep and fall back asleep about 10 times until my alarm goes off.

Since these problems started, I have tried many things to resolve this issue. I do not take caffeine ever, I do not eat anything that sugar was added to for flavor (done that for the last 12+ years, I do not lift in the afternoon, I try to get sunshine early to mid-day, I make sure my last two hours before bed are rather relaxing, I avoid light as much as possible the last hour before bed, I read a book with a very dim amber light the last hour before bed, go to sleep at the same time on weekends, sleep ing in a different bed than my wife, and now for the last two-three months I have started to try to solve this with vitamins/minerals (magnesium, zinc, ashwadandha, valerian root, etc). I have tried dozens of other things but this is already long enough of a read. (I took 12mg melatonin every night from late 2019 to May 2021. It only partially helped with being wide awake from ~1AM to ~5AM; but, not entirely. Also after a while it seemed to be less effective; but, for the most part I don't know if melatonin should be used long term so I stopped it)

Has anyone had experience with long lasting sleep side effects from prednisone? Or does anyone have ideas to try? (From what I read online my cortisol rhythm is out of whack and my cortisol is peaking at this ~1AM timeframe; but, I just don't know how to go about fixing that). I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

(most importantly....sorry to all those people who have worse sleep problems than I do! I know getting solid sleep from 9PM to ~1AM might seem like a blessing to some people)
czcpt
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can't sleep years after taking prednisone

Postby Snaga » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:13 am

Hello, and welcome!

Have you tried over the counter sleep aids such as Benaryl (diphenhydramine)? Or gotten a prescription sleep aid? If I could go to bed on time I think I'd probably do all right, I've been given a prescription for trazodone to help with insomnia- it's an older antidepressant often prescribed for insomnia.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:30 am

Re: Can't sleep years after taking prednisone

Postby czcpt » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Snaga, thanks for the reply. And yes your keen eye saw that I just joined! I have used Benadryl in the past with not much success. It more so helps me fall asleep at the beginning of the night which is not a problem for me. So that is the primary reason I don't take it. The secondary reason is that I am at risk of glaucoma. Benadryl is not recommended for those at risk with glaucoma.

After my issues with Prednisone, I have basically sworn off drugs. So I have not tried to seek out a prescription sleep aid. I am hoping for something on the natural side of things.
czcpt
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:30 am

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post