Our partner

Why do I sleep better on the couch than in my own bed?

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Why do I sleep better on the couch than in my own bed?

Postby Roseredpinball » Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am

Hello all, I hope this is the right forum for this! I don't know whether or not you could say I have insomnia, but I do find I have an easier/better time sleeping on the couch than in my own bed. But why? What is it about the couch that is better than my bed? Is it the mattress or my pillow? Is it because there is less pressure to fall asleep when I'm lying on the couch than when I'm lying in bed? Could it have to do with having the computer in the same room and listening to music when I'm laying on the couch?

I also wonder if it doesn't have something to do with negative associations I've made with my bedroom. I was abused by my older brother as a child (yes, I still live with my parents in my childhood home) and occasionally ran into my room to get away from him when he was chasing me. But if that's the case, shouldn't the same be true for the room where said couch is? I ran in there a few times to get away too (it's one of the few rooms besides the upstairs bedrooms with locks). Although I suppose there are other negative associations I have with my bedroom than just my brother abusing me. Btw, please don't say it was just sibling rivalry, I'm pretty sure it was more than just sibling rivalry! Back in middle and high school I had frequent, occasionally severe, panic attacks. I'm on medication now which has helped a lot but I wonder if I associate my room with panic attacks too? Then there's the fact that I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and all the times I have thrown up have always been in my room. The fact that I can talk about it like this without having a panic attack is only the result of therapy and medication. So what do you guys think? Do you have any ideas? Do you agree with any of my theories? Sorry again if this is the wrong place to post this, and thank you so much to anyone who answers this question!
Roseredpinball
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post