Our partner

staying asleep

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

staying asleep

Postby bananasNEPA » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Hopefully someone has some words of wisdom. First, I don’t think I have slept more than 6 hours since I was in my 20’s (I am 59) and I was always an early riser (around 530-6 am). I guess my first occurrence of insomnia first started about 13 years ago where I couldn’t get to sleep because my brain wouldn’t shut up. My family physician put me on a low dose of Xanax and that seemed to do the trick. About 2-3 years ago my insomnia changed from not being able to get to sleep to not being able to sleep through the night (generally I have no problem getting to sleep). Initially I would get about five hours to now where I am lucky to get four hours of solid sleep. What I find unusual is that most nights it is four hours and then I just wake up, no feeling that something woke me up. I can’t remember the last time I had a dream. I have read many articles, youtube, etc about what to do to stay asleep and I have been doing them all for months with no success. I am currently on 2 mg lorazepam (family dr) and I have tried some herbal remedies (valerian, melatonin, and a milk mixture with four different spices) with no success. I even saw a sleep medicine doctor at a prestigious university medical center about two hours from my home which in my opinion turned out to be a waste of time since the doctor just entered everything I had written down into the computer – the entire visit was less than 30 minutes! The doctor’s (or maybe the computer’s) recommendation was to do CBTI however I live in an area where there isn’t anyone with any level of expertise with CBTI. I have checked out some of the online CBTI apps and will probably try one of them but I am hoping someone out there knows of something to try. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
bananasNEPA
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: staying asleep

Postby Everybodies » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:14 am

See if you can get a psychiatrist to prescribe a low dose of Seroquel. It makes you hungry but you sleep like a baby. PM if you want more info I'm usually on the Dissociative forum not here
Here is to hoping you get rest. I've tried all of those before a psychiatrist recommend Seroquel.
Where do go once you've been through hell?
Dx : d.i.d. , insomnia , bulimia , ptsdI
TC (grown up Host) **Celvin ( 8yr co Host)I
**Also posting**
Jonathan / Ricardo (20)
Celvin (The Elder/ The Watcher)
FIFTEEN (15) and twin Nobody (rarely around)
*** Others Inside are closer than they appear ***
Everybodies
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post