Our partner

Intermittent Insomnia

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Intermittent Insomnia

Postby Nocturne28 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:32 am

I have what I think are typical sleep issues pretty regularly, like getting a couple of hours less sleep than normal 1-2 times a week, but lately I’ve been having recurrent bouts of insomnia with total sleeplessness that last days at a time. For the last 6 weeks I’ve only been getting about 4 hours a night (compared to my usual 7-8) and now I’m on another bout of 0 sleep, 2nd consecutive night and it feels so much worse than usual. I’m assuming it’s worse this time because of the little sleep I’ve gotten the past 6 weeks.

I tried explaining this to my primary care doctor. He prescribed Belsomra, which just made me feel practically paralyzed without any enhanced ability to sleep. I think the problem with Belsomra for me is that it inhibits “wake” signals in the brain, but doesn’t create the drowsiness of other medications to help me fall asleep. He said alternatively I should take 1/4 of one tablet of over the counter Unisom — that is obviously not going to work. To me, that’s like telling me to take a tiny bit of children’s Benadryl.

I feel like he does not believe me when I say I am not sleeping at all, literally 0 minutes per night for the nights I’m reporting no sleep. I already have anxiety issues and each night of sleeplessness makes me spiral into a completely irrational person with a sharp spike in panic attacks.

I have an appointment with a psychiatric nurse in the morning. The last time I went to her, I was dealing with high anxiety levels as I was unemployed after being laid off and I was going through several high-pressure job interviews. She gave me 28 tabs of 0.5mg of Klonopin and I was able to use those over a couple of months to help ease my nerves for job interviews. What do you think I should ask her for to get through this insomnia? I’m thinking of asking for 3 days of a hefty dose of Valium to induce sleep and then a 4-week script for Ambien or Lunesta or something similar that helps you fall asleep and stay asleep. I’ve had issues in the past with Ambien only lasting 4 hours (even the CR/ER version) but that’s still better than 0 sleep. Any alternatives I should consider?
Nocturne28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post