Our partner

Music in my head keeps me from sleeping

Hypersomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Music in my head keeps me from sleeping

Postby gmgb » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:18 pm

My doctor has prescribed Ambien for a long bout of insomnia I have been having. I seem to have it during periods of high stress or when I need to be somewhere or have an important engagement the next day. Unfortunately, it appears to be affecting me more and more as I age. Anyway what keeps me up at night is playing a song over and over all night long. I can't get it out of head. It might be only a verse or two from a song I heard long ago or maybe a catchy jingle I heard on the TV that day. I think it is probably a defense mechanism which keeps me from actually worrying about the real things in my life. I really don't want to stay on Ambien very long as it gives me awful constipation. So I was wondering if anyone had any practical ideas that could help.

So far I've given up caffeine; exercise most days; don't drink very much. I've tried the mediation and self-hypnosis and find they work for a few days but that is all. I only read and attempt to sleep in bed.
gmgb
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Music in my head keeps me from sleeping

Postby seabreezeblue » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:06 am

I get that sometimes.. really annoying.

Not sure if what helps me will help you but hopefully it might. Do you have the ability to control what you're playing in your head.?
if so then change the music to something that you find relaxing.. maybe even the sound of the sea swishing around if you're able to choose to that degree.
I've sometimes had the same song playing in my head for hours and so i've learned over time to change and choose what i'm listening to. Fantastic for entertaining myself while i'm waiting for a bus or something (: (annoying at night still since i can't choose to switch it off completely)
Also.. can you turn the volume down at all? I know it sounds dumb but it's worth a try if you can't choose what you're listening to.

Lastly.. if neither of the above suggestions are possible - it might be a helpful idea to get yourself a little music player and some headphones. You'll be able to quietly listen to your choice of relaxing music and that will hopefully stop the music in your head playing.

xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby gmgb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:17 am

Annoying isn't a word that would have used since it has been going on for awhile but now that you mention it I can change the tune. Problem is that it normal goes back to the one keeping me awake but perhaps I just need more discipline in moving it towards a more soothing song.
gmgb
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:35 am

Postby Oliveira » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I've actually had the same problem. I started listening to very soothing music before sleep because of that, as I sometimes discover a new great song, play it on a loop for hours, then go to bed and guess what, I'm still listening to it. :/ So I try to play stuff like Enya piano instrumentals before sleep.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Return to Hypersomnia

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post