Our partner

Do I have Hypersomnia of some form?

Hypersomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do I have Hypersomnia of some form?

Postby thepopoman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

Do I have Hypersomnia of some form? I need 10 hours of sleep. If I get 10 then I'm ok but if I get less I feel sleep deprived all day. I also have Depression and Insomnia but those symptoms started later after the need for 10 hours of sleep. I have no physical (sleep apnea) type problem. I think it's brain software. I needed 10 hours of sleep in 1977 and 1985 I got depressed because of the horrible unfairness of not having enough time after work and the sleep deprivation combined and the fact that my sensitive stomach wouldn't let me take antidepressants because (or anything else to help) those things that improve my homeostatus hurt my stomach.
thepopoman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do I have Hypersomnia of some form?

Postby bretto2004 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Hate to be a dick but if 10 hours does it for you then no, you don't have hypersomnia. If you think anti-deps might work there may be transdermal patches available. Have you had a sleep study done? If you start sleeping 18 hours a day then get back to me. Are you sure you are O.K. at 10 hours of sleep, or is it just wishful thinking?
bretto2004
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:31 am

Re: Do I have Hypersomnia of some form?

Postby thepopoman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 pm

I have depression and major Insomnia but I can't use anti-depressants because they hurt my stomach. Not just anti-depressants but blood pressure medicine and amino acids and herbs and anything that is designed to improve my psychophysiological state. Parasympathetic stimulation using Xanax does not trigger the stomach pain but most other things do. Broken gut-brain connection of some sort I believe.

Even if I get 10 hours of sleep I still have chronic fatigue type symptoms and feel tired. However when I do get 10 hours of sleep I don't feel that certain kind of weighted "hurt" of sleep deprivation, which combined with the depression is very painful and debilitating.

The suffering and debilitation is not trivial. Getting 10 hours of sleep helps me feel comfortable but the depression still makes me tired and unhappy.

How many hours of sleep need does someone have to have to be diagnosed with Hypersomnia?

Patches will not bypass the gut-brain axis hypersensitivity.

Since the depression happened AFTER my need for 10 hours of sleep it's not clear that it's purely the depression that causes me to need the 10 hours.

I had a sleep study done back in 1992 at Providence which is now Swedish hospital (they put the electrode sensors on my head to check brain patterns etc.) and the Dr. said he couldn't see any "constitutional" need for 10 hours of sleep and that he believed it was caused by the depression.

If someone needs 18 hours of sleep what exactly do you do to help them?

How do you prove (provide evidence) they need 18 hours of sleep for disability reasons?

Dave
thepopoman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:31 am

Return to Hypersomnia

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post