Our partner

what is Elder Abuse

Open Discussions About Abuse of the Elderly.

what is Elder Abuse

Postby jessicaborthwick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:37 am

this may be a stuped question whats Elder Abuse?
Do Not Distorb Im Distorbed Enough Already
jessicaborthwick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 am
Blog: View Blog (28)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: what is Elder Abuse

Postby seanetal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:13 am

Think of Child Abuse but instead of the victim being a child they are elderly. Sometimes the abuse takes the form of physical abuse or torture, sometimes verbal or mental. There are far too many cases and it often goes unreported because the victims often have trouble communicating due to their age or illnesses such as Alzheimer's. The link below has some examples of the types of abuse faced by Seniors.
http://www.cornellcares.org/pdf/handouts/can_familyharm.pdf
seanetal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Susy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 am

A case of Elder Abuse I came across was an elderly man living alone who was visited occassionally by a 25 year old friend of his family. Each visit was to 'rob' the poor old guy of some of his pension money, and the reasons used to convince him to part with his money was always quite creative, not to mention disgusting - the fridge has broken down and I have to get a service mechanic quickly or the food will spoil etc.....this young guy was on drugs. My mother lived close by and we often bought him bread and other groceries. Another case was a woman with an only son, who was in charge of her bank accounts as she was in an Aged Care facility. The son gambled all her money away. Incredible that some people just have no qualms when it comes to someone else's money. I guess each incidence comes under a different 'code' - i.e. stealing/fraud and maybe should be reported. In retrospect, maybe I should have done more and reported this to ?? Does the moderator have any comment ...Susy, Australia
Susy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 12:47 am

Postby NurseCarolynZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Elder abuse is any act of harm committed by a person of trust. (Such as a family member, health care provider, priest, friend)
NurseCarolynZ
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 11, 2021 2:47 pm

Return to Elder Abuse

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post