Our partner

ESA / PSD for Dysthymia

Dysthymia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ESA / PSD for Dysthymia

Postby makwa » Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 am

Hello All,

I have been seeing a therapist for over 6 months now and after being sad/depressed for many many years discovered I have dysthymia. Now, I believe I have a mild case as I'm still able to work and have a family, etc. However, I've had my dark moments and struggle with it daily as most do. In any case one thing I've always enjoyed is the company of dogs. I had them growing up and notice that they help me calm down and take my mind off the dark moments, etc. So, I've started looking into service dogs but I'm not clear on what is involved in having a service dog. From what I've read thus far it appears that one has to be considered disabled to qualify for a service dog? I will ask my therapist more about this at our next session but I'm wondering if you are registered as a disabled person what does that mean exactly? Aside from the SS benifits which I'm not after in any way, how would it affect my ability to work, or would it? I know there are conditions (i.e. blind, diabetes, etc) who work in normal jobs and have service dogs without issue. I suppose what I would like to know is if it's possible to go through the process of doing what is needed for a service dog without it impacting my career? I understand that having the dog would require explanation but from what I've read only two questions may legally be asked, if the dog is trained & what it's trained to do. From the perspective of an employer I can simply tell them it's trained to get my medication, etc. I don't think it's necessary to divulge what the condition is and thus I wonder how large an impact that would have in regards to career.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Makiwa
makwa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ESA / PSD for Dysthymia

Postby Oliveira » Mon May 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Hello,

while I know nothing about the topic itself I thought it might help if you disclose your location? (Country or state only, nothing more please.) I'm guessing those things differ depending on the country.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Postby makwa » Mon May 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Ah, Yes I could see how that might make a difference.

NC, USA Here.
makwa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby makwa » Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 am

No one has experience with service dogs and depression? I'm really hoping for some advise and tips here, I think it could be a great thing but don't think a full time service dog is necessarily the right answer for me.

Thanks
Makwa
makwa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Dysthymia

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post