Our partner

Not sure if I qualify...

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Not sure if I qualify...

Postby Squib » Sat May 14, 2022 1:10 pm

Hey, I have previously posted in another section, but was soldiers might be better, even though i'm not sure that we,qualify as dissociative, assailants know what's going on with each other. My alter Jack is always there, he just sometimes takes a back seat...
Squib
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Not sure if I qualify...

Postby spinningtops » Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 am

what i would say if you are unsure is to give it time.
spinningtops
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:28 am

Postby ArbreMonde » Mon May 16, 2022 11:13 am

If you are unsure, maybe you can have access to a trained psy in your area, who can give you a differential diagnosis and help you figure things out?
Autistic | ADHD | DID | transmasc (they/them & he/him)

System host/umbrella identity: Morwan

Journey thread | DID ressources thread

This too shall pass. It shall pass like a kidney stone, but it shall pass.
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:28 am

Postby Squib » Mon May 16, 2022 7:05 pm

No way!! They will probably stick us in a little padded room and throw away the key!!

Hi spinningtops- not sure we need more time, Jack’s been with me for as long as I can remember and I’m 35...
Squib
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ArbreMonde » Tue May 17, 2022 5:30 pm

If it can reassure you: there is about 1,5% of people with DID, more than 10% with various dissociative disorders and alters ("DID without amnesia" if you prefer) and you know what? They live regular lives. Okay, complicated lives because trauma makes life complicated. But a dissociation diagnosis is no reason to keep someone in a hospital against their will.

I linked the "ressources" thread to my signature so you can have a look at documents and websites explaining what it really is like to treat DID. Spoiler alert: it's a slow-paced trauma therapy. Alters are no longer seen as the issue, but rather, as powerful allies for a balanced everyday life and a nice recovery from the trauma.

Mentalities change and evolve. Granted they evolve at different speeds in different countries but overall, things get better. As an example, I am mostly self-diagnosed with a DID therapist agreeing that I match the DID criteria, but I have no access to an official diagnosis. I still have access to the DID-paced trauma therapy. Worse thing that was ever done to me by a therapist due to DID was they laughed at my face because they did not believe in DID.

Movies and series about DID do NOT reflect the reality. The reality is much more mundane. Don't hesitate to read the journey threads / journals on this board. You'll see how mundane it gets. Almost boring.

Stabilize the system. Create safe attachment. Find a trauma. Manage/treat the trauma. Stabilize. Safe. Trauma. Manage. Stabilize. Safe. Trauma. Manage. Stabilize. Safe. Trauma. Manage. Rinse and repeat ad libitum for 20-30 years.

BooOOOOOoooring I tell you. And not a single padded cell in view.

ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Squib » Wed May 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Hhmm... we’ll see...

Ok, if I tell you the other half of the weirdness that comes with Jack...

He’s a vampire.

Still sure they won’t throw us in a little padded room now?
Squib
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Thu May 19, 2022 1:07 am

Squib wrote:Hhmm... we’ll see...

Ok, if I tell you the other half of the weirdness that comes with Jack...

He’s a vampire.

Still sure they won’t throw us in a little padded room now?

It's with a wry tone in my typing fingers that I note Megan Fox sips a little from time to time, and she's not locked up... Unless Jack is a threat to himself or others, I'm guessing the answer to that is 'no, they won't'. I'm willing to wager that they've heard wilder things that that.
Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:28 am

Postby Squib » Thu May 19, 2022 5:28 am

Really?!? Hhmmm...

No, he’s no threat, that’s where we come in handy. If he’s getting worked up and angry, then I can calm him down, whereas, if I’m in a situation that needs a little force, or something that he knows the answer to, he can step in.

Here’s a question I asked before, don’t know if anybody else will know the answer: Jack was abused, but I was not, I’m certain of this. Is that normal? I know a lot of people with alters are, but my parents are lovely, so I’m certain. I always say he latched on to me to help him afterwards.
Squib
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ArbreMonde » Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 pm

If you want to dig deep into the weird rabbit hole, among my identities I can count: a qilin (chinese unicorn), an angel, a Pokémon, various characters from Fullmetal Alchemist, a ghost, a demon-ish kinda thing with mirror magic (works in the Innerworld only, of course).

Aaaaannnnddd... no padded cell. Worst thing that happened to me was someone laughed at me and told me "it's not possible". My present DID therapist thinks it's super interesting but it's not the core of the therapy either. Because it's not a problem. It's a funky thing, but not a problem. As long as my overall behavior is adapted to the physical reality, it's not a problem. (But okay it was kinda fun the time my Pokémon self took two showers in a row because they still felt dirty because they could not wash their tail because a human body has no tail. It's fun, maybe annoying, but not dangerous therefore, not a problem.)

When trauma happens, most of the time, only one alter "recieves" the trauma. (When it's big, it's separated between more than one alter though.) It's common to have alters without trauma and alters with trauma existing side by side. And sometimes the traumas are "filed" in specific, logical ways (the logic depending on what the system needs). As an example for me, my abilities/ressources and traumas are "filed" by thematics and context. Ghosties for everything school related, Lust for gender dysphoria, Zami for everyday at home, David for the vacations at the grandparents', Reyna for night-time with the ex's, Isaïa for day-time with the ex's, Pride for everything before going to school, and so on.

Other people need only two "files": "apparently normal life" and "trauma time".

Other people need even another type of "filing" system for the traumas and ressources.

Yoru brain does what it needs to do in order to ensure your survival. Apparently for you it meant, Jack for "trauma time", you for "apparently normal life". You also seem to have a good communication with each-other, being able to work together towards a common goal. Good job on both of you!

ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Squib » Thu May 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Hhmmm... thanks, that’s very helpful. I love your Pokemon not being able to wash his tail! ~laughs~ How annoying for them...

So would it still be classed as DID if we know what each other are doing then?
Squib
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum