Our partner

Unusual symptom

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Unusual symptom

Postby Sepia » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:35 pm

So I have this unusual symptom that's really been puzzling to me. I experience abdominal pain and anguish when I do things or even think about doing things. Even quite positive things I might otherwise enjoy, like reading, drawing, or watching a video. Almost everything triggers this pain and anguish. If I were to ignore and push through this pain and force myself to do many things, it could put me into an intense depression. It makes it extremely difficult for me to maintain any hobbies.

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced anything like this? Is there a name for it, specifically? I mean, I've heard of anhedonia, but that's described as the absence of pleasure/enjoyment. I don't hear about it causing pain.
Sepia
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat May 21, 2022 8:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Unusual symptom

Postby Snaga » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:08 am

Rather than being directly related to depression, could this be an anxiety thing, I wonder?

While I haven't heard of physical pain, I know in the OCD forum some folks will get wound up so tight about whatever it is they're anxious about (in the forums, often related directly or indirectly with intrusive harm thoughts) that they feel intense mental anguish at enjoying anything. It's as if they're determined to no longer enjoy little pleasures they once had. They seem to associate the enjoyment with the object of their angst.

Which isn't what you're saying here, I know- still it seems familiar enough that it makes me raise an eyebrow. My reasoning would be that I've seen plenty of what I just wrote above; coupled with anxiety can cause some of the darndest physical symptoms and just when I think my own anxiety has manifested itself every physical way imaginable, it comes up with something new I hadn't thought of; and then finally the way that depression and anxiety are often co-morbid.

Thus, I wonder if this couldn't be tied into some anxiety disorder. I could be completely wrong of course, but it's my kneejerk reaction to your post.
Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sat May 21, 2022 11:43 pm

Re: Unusual symptom

Postby Sepia » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:54 pm

Snaga wrote:Rather than being directly related to depression, could this be an anxiety thing, I wonder?

While I haven't heard of physical pain, I know in the OCD forum some folks will get wound up so tight about whatever it is they're anxious about (in the forums, often related directly or indirectly with intrusive harm thoughts) that they feel intense mental anguish at enjoying anything. It's as if they're determined to no longer enjoy little pleasures they once had. They seem to associate the enjoyment with the object of their angst.

Which isn't what you're saying here, I know- still it seems familiar enough that it makes me raise an eyebrow. My reasoning would be that I've seen plenty of what I just wrote above; coupled with anxiety can cause some of the darndest physical symptoms and just when I think my own anxiety has manifested itself every physical way imaginable, it comes up with something new I hadn't thought of; and then finally the way that depression and anxiety are often co-morbid.

Thus, I wonder if this couldn't be tied into some anxiety disorder. I could be completely wrong of course, but it's my kneejerk reaction to your post.

Will look into this. Thank you!
Sepia
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat May 21, 2022 8:43 pm

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post