Our partner

Does situational depression=emotional immaturity?

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Does situational depression=emotional immaturity?

Postby Kip » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 pm

When I was a preteen I was diagnosed with situational depression, and medicated with Prozac. Now I am seeing around the web it is identified as adjustment disorder. I had depressive symptoms for several months, even to the point of self harm or wanting to die. I was constantly sad, hopeless, guilty, self-hating, and lonely. The event in question that triggered this was a falling out with my best friend / crush, which evolved into thinking nobody liked me as I started separating from the rest of my friends. That was it. I broke down, over something as simple as THAT. I also struggled with accepting being gay and struggling with my religion. I often feel like I am immature or mentally weak for getting this upset over something so small. My therapist says I didn't choose to be depressed and it was a result of my emotional sensitivity. I feel like that's just another way of saying emotional immaturity. It happened a long time ago and I am no longer depressed, but I have residual symptoms of emotional numbness and self-loathing and I can't believe it traces back to something I don't even care about anymore. I feel like it's my fault, and that i am trivializing people with real problems, or depression and suicidal thoughts who either have it as a long term mental disorder or as a result of abusive or traumatic lives. I feel like I was just ungrateful and pathetic, as I had a very good life when suddenly I wanted to kill myself after one little thing went wrong, even when everything else was good. I was 12, perhaps I was just entitled and overdramatic? Does the fact I had situational depression mean that I am weak or that I'm trivializing serious issues by getting so depressed and suicidal over minor things? Is it my fault? I just wanna know.
Kip
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 8:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Does situational depression=emotional immaturity?

Postby Shattered Mind » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:08 am

Kip wrote: I feel like I was just ungrateful and pathetic, as I had a very good life when suddenly I wanted to kill myself after one little thing went wrong, even when everything else was good. I was 12, perhaps I was just entitled and overdramatic?

Hi Kip,
I can tell you how it is for me. Overall I guess my life is okayish but I do have recurrent major deperssion and have to take meds probably forever to limit how far I fall when I have an episode. I have problems taking psych meds so I take the minimum effective dosage. In theory this sounds good but what it means is that most of the time I'm just barely hanging on. If one thing goes wrong I develop suicidal thoughts.

Depression is an illness and not something any of us asks for. Depression doesn't care how wonderful your life is. Anyone can develop it. So no its not your fault. And I don't think responding the way you described to minor issues is any indication of how you would respond to a more serious one. If anything I think you would react more intensely to it, not less. For me the more serious the problem the further down the hole I fall.
Dx: Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Shattered Mind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Postby Kip » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Shattered Mind wrote:
Kip wrote: I feel like I was just ungrateful and pathetic, as I had a very good life when suddenly I wanted to kill myself after one little thing went wrong, even when everything else was good. I was 12, perhaps I was just entitled and overdramatic?

Hi Kip,
I can tell you how it is for me. Overall I guess my life is okayish but I do have recurrent major deperssion and have to take meds probably forever to limit how far I fall when I have an episode. I have problems taking psych meds so I take the minimum effective dosage. In theory this sounds good but what it means is that most of the time I'm just barely hanging on. If one thing goes wrong I develop suicidal thoughts.

Depression is an illness and not something any of us asks for. Depression doesn't care how wonderful your life is. Anyone can develop it. So no its not your fault. And I don't think responding the way you described to minor issues is any indication of how you would respond to a more serious one. If anything I think you would react more intensely to it, not less. For me the more serious the problem the further down the hole I fall.

But I'm not mentally ill. That's the thing. It was situational depression, not clinical, apparently.
Kip
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 am

The only trivializing you’re doing is with all the insults you’re haphazardly throwing at yourself. The world is full of ---holes don’t be one to yourself. An adjustment disorder by definition is a disorder. Situational depression by definition is depression and a mental illness. Everyone naturally has emotional responses in your case your physical emotional response is dysfunctional. It’s still a disease and it kills people like any other.
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post