Our partner

Combat Medic in need of advice

Open Discussions about Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Combat Medic in need of advice

Postby AirborneMedic82911 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Short background about myself, I was a combat medic and immediately was deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan where I spent 10 months. Everyday was horrific and about a 1/3 of the way through I was moved to the trauma bays because my fellow guys just knew "doc ain't right". I can't and won't begin to explain what I've seen or done especially with the EWIA's... I was discharged due to mental reasons. It seems like my life revolves around doctors, medications, therapy, wondering if today I will have a flashback and wake up in the mental health clinic at my local hospital. In fact just last night I was there and now my fiance doesn't know what to do anymore and sadly neither do i. Im only 23 and I have so much ahead of me but I am frightened that I won't make it or end up a doped up zombie that gets forgotten. A little info on what the docs say is that i have C-PTSD with psychotic behavior, delusions, and schizophrenic tendencies. Any advise would be appreciated because I do feel like I am alone in this one unlike the battlefield.
AirborneMedic82911
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Combat Medic in need of advice

Postby AirborneMedic82911 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:45 am

Alright, well since nobody is replying. If someone out there is on Effexor my p-doc upped me to 225mg And could feel somewhat of a weight lift. He also put me on mirtazapine for sleep, prazosin for hbp and nightmares, and honestly told me my fiance is not good for me, I took no offense because I have been asking myself and like today after work I offered we go out to eat and all she wanted was fast food..... all we do is fight and I've come to think she may be a trigger for me because in a bad fight that's when I dissociate and go bezerk. Any comments? Doesn't have to be if you were in combat or not we all are on this forum for help and bottom line, no matter what the scenario was for us individually, we all have pain.
AirborneMedic82911
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Terry E. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:55 pm

I don't know what to say. Zero medical background and my experiences are I CA trauma.
Just want to say that the vast majority of people make very little difference in life.

You have not. You are paying the price, but it is the people like you who make the world move around.

It can get better, does take time, and I myself found heavy physical training the best modulator of mood rather than alcohol or drugs. I chose heavy weight lifting others here have done martial arts.

Gets you out of the house, gives you some focus time when the other parts don't intrude and does wonders for cortisol and other mood receptors.

The other one is reading. I have discussed that with many others and finding a genre to loose yourself in also helps. Pays to get obsessed sometimes.

Becoming a workaholic , helps, although it mainly just gives you time to work on the other stuff.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SaharaSon » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Airborne Medic, I'm sorry you saw what you saw, no human being should have to endure that. In addition to being in combat and being wounded I hear your pain. I' ve worked in cardiac cath, EP and peripherals and seen quite a bit of blood, but my patients were all in one piece. I have CPTSD, etc., etc. Talking it out helps, keep talking. My experience is animals like therapy dogs help alot. Get back to nature and enjoy it. Simplify.....Slow down.....forgive yourself.......simplify.......slow down.....forgive yourself. It was never your fault. God Bless the healers like you. Shalom brother.
SaharaSon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby SaharaSon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:41 am

Hey Doc if you are still hanging around the site, I too have had problems with my significant other being a trigger. I know that It is not intentional but d*m, she can get me going over very small things. I told her if it's a little thing don't push it, it is not worth it. Don't sweat the small stuff, it is not worth it. I try to give her lots of room on things that are important to her. My brother is a walking talking trigger. There is no help for him. He is too far gone. I simply can not be around him much. No other solution. Talk to us, bro. Shalom.
SaharaSon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder