Our partner

Sense of self struggling

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Sense of self struggling

Postby PLChick2006 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Hello. I was diagnosed in childhood with Asperger's (I'm 38 now), later on diagnosed with depression, OCD, and GAD. Two previous therapists who disagreed with the Asperger's expressed "suspicion of quiet BPD." Btw, yes I realize one can have autism and BPD.
I am here because I struggle with "who am I? What are my career aspirations? I want to relocate to a distant state or country, I think I'm mostly heterosexual, but not entirely sure," frustrating things like that.
It sounds odd because I was at a job for 12 years, and I've only lived in 3 cities in my entire life! Maybe I'm just ruminating....
I read about some with BPD "adopting" their identities based on who they are surrounded by, but not me. I just live in constant doubt. How do the rest of you cope with this symptom?
PLChick2006
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sense of self struggling

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:03 am

Personally I just accept that a stable identity is a myth anyway. We are all a product of our environment. Even the language we use to describe our own narrative in our heads is inherited. How do I "cope"? Well the first thing is to not feel guilty about it. It's going to be okay.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: Sense of self struggling

Postby Brandon1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:50 pm

PLChick2006 wrote:How do the rest of you cope with this symptom?

by doing things i enjoy
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post