Our partner

Do you believe that you're addicted to emotion?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

yes
71%
no
No votes
other
29%

Total votes : 7

Postby perejil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Yes or no.

What is an addiction?

Explanation/input welcome.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you believe that you're addicted to emotion?

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 pm

yes i am addicted to emotion. i crave for validation n pat on the back n emotional situations n karma. i overreact all the time n make super impulsive decisions.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 am

Postby Rena83 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:28 am

Yes. But only by people I want it from. If I don't want your emotion then it annoys me.

But if I want it, I am dying for it all the time. I also can become tired of emotion from a person I wanted emotion from and just never want any more. Like that. Flip a switch.
Rena83
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Postby sakura1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:20 pm

I do not know what that means but emotions give me pleasure and high that seems similar to drugs and the low even.
Also the high of when you are infatuated that life seems boring without it. But i guess is not addiction because i wouldn't do anything for it.i can let go easy.
But on the other hand if you ask me if you would give your life for a great passion i want to say yes. But in reality nothing gives me that passion to do anything for it.

Also i am generally depressed so i feel like if i find a good emotion is more precious.
I do not feel them in real life around people but from art or without people the intensity of emotions get me high and give me pleasure .
Even when is about something bad in reality is unbearable " torture" and i want to kill myself.but when i empathize though art is cathartic because the real danger and fear is not there only the high.
I am not sure of what i am talking about
sakura1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 am

Postby sakura1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:33 pm

So i googled it and it says about addiction to fear,sadness and anger. And i feel is like another way someone says snap out of it...
sakura1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby perejil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:14 pm

jaus tail wrote:yes i am addicted to emotion. i crave for validation n pat on the back n emotional situations n karma. i overreact all the time n make super impulsive decisions.

Hi jaus. Hope you're doing well.

And me too.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby perejil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm

sakura1 wrote:I do not know what that means but emotions give me pleasure and high that seems similar to drugs and the low even.

I would define "addiction" as: needing something excessively, having to have it, when that thing does you no lasting benefit. You can't do without it, and yet you derive no net good from it. It doesn't help you or build you up in any lasting way. It only affords momentary pleasure or distraction from pain. A sink for energy and resources without any gain and that, when used up, only leaves you empty and craving more.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 pm

perejil wrote:I would define "addiction" as: needing something excessively, having to have it, when that thing does you no lasting benefit. You can't do without it, and yet you derive no net good from it. It doesn't help you or build you up in any lasting way. It only affords momentary pleasure or distraction from pain. A sink for energy and resources without any gain and that, when used up, only leaves you empty and craving more.

Ain't it the truth...

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Postby sakura1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Hm that sounds like infatuation from feelings .but with what it doesn't match is that i wouldn't do just anything to get it. Except that it makes me suicidal not having it.

i don't think i have it with validation.although it feels good.but addiction i don't think so for me

-- Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:56 pm --

Maybe getting validation from that specific person i have infatuation with and not just the infatuation. I got a little confused
sakura1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby perejil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Rena83 wrote:Yes. But only by people I want it from. If I don't want your emotion then it annoys me.

But if I want it, I am dying for it all the time. I also can become tired of emotion from a person I wanted emotion from and just never want any more. Like that. Flip a switch.

The push pull thing?

Do you feel you need emotion in general? I'm not talking about affection or validation here, but rather the intensity/the waves of high and low? The need for emotion at all, any emotion. Myself, I enjoy the roller coaster. Not just the positive emotions but all emotions, even the lows to some extent. The intense cocktail of pleasure and pain. That the rush of it does something for me, so much so that I seek it out. A feeling that's probably analagous to sociopaths and their thrill seeking. A kind of talisman against boredom or emptiness. So maybe it is an addiction.

Emotions make me feel alive, they bring a kind of richness and pleasure, (even the negaive ones) and I'm constantly mystified/irritated at nons' comparative sedateness. With their contentment at their own sedateness. I feel I go through life interacting with people who are zombies or comatose, only half alive. It makes me want to bang their heads together, and scream 'what's wrong with you'? So maybe it's not an addiction but rather a kind of miscalibration or marching to a different drummer, more analogous to autism.

Maybe it's both.

And I wonder what the mechamism is. Whether borderlines experience some kind of endorphine rush from intense emotion. A kind of "high".

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post