Our partner

A less stigmatised term for BPD

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

A less stigmatised term for BPD

Postby Quoth » Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 am

Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 7:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: A less stigmatised term for BPD

Postby perejil » Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am

I'm okay with the term 'borderline'.

The stigma is in people's minds, not in the name.
Not that this comes up much but I don't respond to pm's anymore (unless you're a mod). Just FYI.
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 pm

perejil wrote:I'm okay with the term 'borderline'.

The stigma is in people's minds, not in the name.

agreed. the disorder would still be stigmatized regardless of what they call it.
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby perejil » Sat May 19, 2018 3:45 am

rainbow_sprinkles wrote:the disorder would still be stigmatized regardless of what they call it.

Hmmmmmm.

I admit I don't get around mental health circles much, but the only place I've ever seen it really stigmatized is on these boards.
Not that this comes up much but I don't respond to pm's anymore (unless you're a mod). Just FYI.
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby blackandwhiterainbow » Sat May 19, 2018 10:20 am

Quoth wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28347146

Opinions?

1/People who stigmatize are probably the same who are too stupid/ignorant to understand what's a PSTD and how it works anyway
2/ Does it apply to every person diagnosed with BPD?
3/ I like the effort though
blackandwhiterainbow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Postby Elastic Heart » Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Where I'm from, they call it 'Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder'. Honestly I find that a lot more stigmatizing than Borderline. I've also heard 'Emotional Dysregulation' and that pisses me off in a way. It's not just about emotions for me. It's so much more complex than that. It's so much more painful. I don't really see the point in re-naming it to complex PTSD either.

Of the suggested names I've heard, borderline fits the best in my opinion. That's what it feels like, to be bordering... well, everything. To always walk on a thin line. To be everything and nothing at the same time. It's not the name that causes the stigma.
Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Elastic Heart
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 pm

perejil wrote:
rainbow_sprinkles wrote:the disorder would still be stigmatized regardless of what they call it.

Hmmmmmm.

I admit I don't get around mental health circles much, but the only place I've ever seen it really stigmatized is on these boards.

as a person with BPD, who runs a support group for people with BPD, has had many friends as well as partners with BPD, have advocated for people with BPD, gone to psych appointments with people with BPD, so on and so forth, it is absolutely NOT just this forum. it has long been stigmatized, even/especially within the mental health system. older workers who are still stuck in old beliefs about the disorder still think people won't want to work with us and the horror stories I hear regularly about the treatment received in hospitals.... you don't even want to know. I once had an older gentleman doctor tell me that if people saw my diagnosis on my chart that they wouldn't want to work with me. it's slowly getting better, I even had one woman, younger, tell me that BPD is a great diagnosis to have because it's completely treatable. so things are changing but it's an extremely slow process.
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post