Our partner

Making it work without therapy?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Making it work without therapy?

Postby zbear » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello all!

I am new to this forum, so I am still getting the feel for how it works! :-)

I have a concern that I was wondering if anyone had experience with and could give me advice.

I was in therapy and on medication for a variety of diagnoses for the past 15 years. Unfortunately I no longer have access to health insurance, so I have been functioning without therapy or medication for the past 6 months. I was wondering if anyone had experience managing BPD without therapy? What worked for you?

Thanks!
zbear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby patientxgreece » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 pm

zbear wrote:Hello all!

I am new to this forum, so I am still getting the feel for how it works! :-)

I have a concern that I was wondering if anyone had experience with and could give me advice.

I was in therapy and on medication for a variety of diagnoses for the past 15 years. Unfortunately I no longer have access to health insurance, so I have been functioning without therapy or medication for the past 6 months. I was wondering if anyone had experience managing BPD without therapy? What worked for you?

Thanks!


I'm sorry to hear that! I guess you have been long enough in therapy so you know how to cope with borderline!! You just have to respond to your Schema, this little asshole in your mind who tells you you are defective. My therapist has given me those steps:
1. What would I tell my son/daughter if he/she were in a similar situation
2. What would my therapist tell me if I called him
3. What practical solutions are there even they seem impossible
4. Remember all previous situations which seemed catastrophic. Were they really so? Probably no!
patientxgreece
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby zbear » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!
I wish that being in and out of therapy for so long had been helpful for me. I feel like only in the past 3 months before I had to stop going did it start to have any impact on me, so I'm pretty sad that I am unable to see a therapist right now. :( I'm pretty desperate honestly.

I guess I am having some problems with distress tolerance, but I never really came up with any good plans for things that work for me when I am in such a state. Thinking about what I would tell a child or a friend is a good idea.
What other kinds of tools do people use for distress tolerance?
zbear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby patientxgreece » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Fluoxetine has helped me a lot with angst, anxiety and distress. I consider to double the dose to be honest
patientxgreece
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby Wally58 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:54 pm

In lieu of structured, one-on-one therapy, I have sought the solace and help of 12-step program meetings.
There are many to choose from, they are free and there may be one within walking distance from you. You will meet others who may have similar predicaments as yourself. You can introduce yourself by your first name, or simply say that you are here to listen.
Emotions Anonymous (EA) is pretty generic and topics can cover a wide range of whatever people need to talk about. It was helpful for me as it spoke from the heart.
You can Google EA for meeting times or look for other 12-step meetings that may fit your specific needs better.
Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 am
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby zbear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks! I have actually been in 12-Step programs for many years! They help me to some extent, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with other ways of managing stress/anxiety/extreme states without therapy?

-- Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm --

patientxgreece wrote:Fluoxetine has helped me a lot with angst, anxiety and distress. I consider to double the dose to be honest



Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, my main issue is that I don't have access to health care, doctors, or medication at the moment, so I am wondering if people have suggestions for alternative ways of managing extreme mental states. Thanks for reading and replying!
zbear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby patientxgreece » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm

zbear wrote:Thanks! I have actually been in 12-Step programs for many years! They help me to some extent, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with other ways of managing stress/anxiety/extreme states without therapy?

-- Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm --

patientxgreece wrote:Fluoxetine has helped me a lot with angst, anxiety and distress. I consider to double the dose to be honest



Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, my main issue is that I don't have access to health care, doctors, or medication at the moment, so I am wondering if people have suggestions for alternative ways of managing extreme mental states. Thanks for reading and replying!



Supposedly St John's wort or something works as an antidepressant!
patientxgreece
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby zbear » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:56 pm

patientxgreece wrote:
zbear wrote:Thanks! I have actually been in 12-Step programs for many years! They help me to some extent, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with other ways of managing stress/anxiety/extreme states without therapy?

-- Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm --

patientxgreece wrote:Fluoxetine has helped me a lot with angst, anxiety and distress. I consider to double the dose to be honest



Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, my main issue is that I don't have access to health care, doctors, or medication at the moment, so I am wondering if people have suggestions for alternative ways of managing extreme mental states. Thanks for reading and replying!



Supposedly St John's wort or something works as an antidepressant!




yesss! it sure does! that is the only thing that has been keeping me remotely sane the past 6 months!
zbear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Making it work without therapy?

Postby patientxgreece » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:48 pm

yesss! it sure does! that is the only thing that has been keeping me remotely sane the past 6 months![/quote]

Then there you go ! ;) It is so sad that Prozac costs so much in the US... In Greece it costs like 20 euros or something...
patientxgreece
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 pm
Local time: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests