Our partner

These DAMN meds! (weight gain)

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Tyler

These DAMN meds! (weight gain)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:59 pm

I've gained a few pounds and I just feel so hungry all the time. I used to be a runner many years ago (like 20 years ago lol) and I don't even like to walk now. I hate my meds but I've tried so many combinations over the years and I just can't seem to be able to be without the antipsychotic. The antidepressant, Wellbutrin is supposed to be good and not have you gain weight. I think maybe you can even lose weight with it. Lamictal is also good for the weight gain. But that damn antipsychotic has me gaining weight. I gave up on trying to lose weight, but I do try to not gain more, or at least much more.

I have to take my meds even though I wish I could just get off them right now and feel free!!! I don't want to lose my pdoc, he is the best pdoc in town, according to a few other people I've spoken to and I also don't want my kids to see mom lose complete control. I know there is the possibility of being hospitalized in the psych ward nearby but I just take the damn meds and struggle on. I've had a bad day today dealing with this today. I'm mostly venting...thanks.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:36 am
Blog: View Blog (81)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: These DAMN meds! (weight gain)

Postby JoseMaria » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm

You do not want me to speak ill of psychiatrist medication.
But watch yourself taking 7 medications !!!
Do you have a matter so serious that you justify it? Is that without them, you are not even able to function or what?
Over mix antipsychotics with antidepressants when they are exactly opposite effects is like taking "speed" in the morning to wake up and alcohol at night to fall asleep.
Since you do not want to stop medication altogether because you do not try the lamictal alone, it is a stabilizer with few side effects and it does not make you fat, you could suggest it to your doctor even.
JoseMaria
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I actually take more than 7 medications. I also have Diabetes type 2 and I take insulin alongside pills.

I do have a matter that is serious enough to justify taking all those 7 medications.

Correct, without medication I have been severely depressed and became a danger to myself, and without the antipsychotics I began hallucinating. I was also a danger to myself and others.

On a personal level I'd like to be off of all my medications and insulin I take but I already know what happens when I do that, which is to get all my symptoms back. I see a psychiatrist in town and if I stopped taking them, I believe, (I've never asked) I could be dropped as a patient for not being compliant with taking my meds. I've never asked. I did get asked why I had not taken my ritalin once because it took a couple of weeks to get it and it was my fault I didn't pick up the prescription and didn't get it filled. So he does keep track of things like that. I have to get a prescription filled every month. So I literally have to go to the office and pick it up, I can't even have it called in to the pharmacy.

Trying lamictal alone was what I was doing before 2014 right before I got manic and ended up in the ER for an overdose. I had a mixed episode. I agree that Lamictal has less side effects, but it didn't fix my symptoms when I took it by itself. I was actually taking 2 mood stabilizers at one point but requested a change because of one of the side effects I was experiencing, hair thinning. I like to have some hair on my head. It does bother me A LOT! I have some days where it bothers me more than other days about taking so much medication and some days I am fine because I am stable. But yeah, taking so much meds sucks (my opinion). This is just how it is for me...

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby z7z » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:42 pm

I've lost a lot of weight this year with the Keto diet (250>220). Meat, cheese, green veggies, nuts. Less than 20g carbs daily. You should exercise but weight loss is mostly diet. The worst is guzzling pop, bread, pastries, cake, cookies, chips, candy, beer. If you can avoid this completely, that is a good start.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Bui » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Dear @quietgirl2538, have you and your psychiatrist tried Ziprasidone (Geodon) or Aripiprazole (Abilify)?

I have taken them both and, despite the obvious drawbacks that all antipsychotics have, these 2 never made me gain weight. When I switched from Clozapine (which made me pretty fat) to Geodon, I lost 20 kg (45 pounds) in 3 months.

Just a little insight, since you said you can't function without an antipsychotic at the moment.

Be well!
Diagnostics - Bipolar I
Medications - 10mg Aripiprazole / 300mg Lamotrigine / 150mg Topiramate
Bui
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Dandy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 pm

To me it does seem unlikely you'd change your medication.
So maybe keep a food diary, at least just for a bit. There probably are free food diaries online, for you aswell. The point of this is to see the shares of what you're actually consuming. Then try cutting down wheat and sugar and possibly something else you think should go. I sometimes eat glutein free frozen pizza. The base is made of potato fibre(?) either way it tastes nice. :)

Do you drink alcohol? Any of it? I went back to that skinny little girl metabolism ever since I quit drinking. Alcohol is or can be a major factor and in the end, it's quite easily eliminated.

Ofc pick up the advice you think could work out for You. Take care and I hope you figure out a way for the better! <3
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes"

DX: BP2, PTSD
Dandy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 am

@z7z, I've been told about the keto diet before. I understand if you eat a lot of protein you get to feeling full, plus veggies too. Veggies are supposed to be very low on carbs. I tend to eat a lot of carbs like bread but I'm working on substituting it for other things like veggies. I'm really good about not eating much sweets. I just don't drink for the most part unless we are at a nice restaurant and I'll have 1 margarita. I love margaritas. I like a cold beer every once in a while :D

@Bui, I've never even considered Geodon. I'll ask about that this next time. I'll see what he says. Abilify didn't work for me. Gave me bad side effects of having me gain a lot of weight. About 11 years ago I was taking Abilify and an antidepressant and those two combined had me gaining so much weight...It didn't help my depression back then.

@Dandy, it's very hard for me to change meds, but if necessary, I will do it. Food diary is something good. I am working on prioritizing more important things in my life. Food is up there on my list. I do drink a little bit of alcohol. Thank you Dandy, :wink:

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby Son » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 pm

when I started lithium I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I ate all day long. I'm sure I gained from that.nd like you I was pretty for for many years beforehand. For me that side effect I think went away eventually. I find lifestyle changes are tough if you're depressed and have only so much energy for these things each day. I kept vegetables and fruit in the fridge ready to eat so I wasn't snacking on junk all day. Just wanted to say I've been there and it's disheartening for sure. Keep going :D
Bipolar I, BPD traits. | 200mg Lamictal, 900mg Lithium, 20mg Abilify

A boy was tangled in his bike forever. A girl was missing two fingers.
Son
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Bui » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm

@quietgirl2538, I'd really encourage you to talk with your psychiatrist about the Geodon. It can be crucial when it comes to losing fat gained from previous antipsychotics.
Diagnostics - Bipolar I
Medications - 10mg Aripiprazole / 300mg Lamotrigine / 150mg Topiramate
Bui
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:26 am

Thank you Son.

Bui, I will definitely bring up Geodon next pdoc's visit unless I need to bring it up any sooner than that.

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538