Our partner

Best medication

Anxiety Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Best medication

Postby Michael361 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Hello there first time poster here. I suffer from general anxiety constantly except for when I'm on valium but in 2 weeks my doctor is gonna take me off it because he says it's too addictive. anyway I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good medication that I could ask my doctor for, something that would be prescribed long term. Anything that is not so addictive that they wouldn't prescribe it long term.
Michael361
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Best medication

Postby sia11 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:11 pm

I am from india and yoga guru ramdev claims anulom vilom pranayam(breathing exercises) keeps anxiety under control.,it removes the roots of disorder when done for a long time period.you have to wait for 1-2 weeks to see results.
sia11
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 am

Postby redrob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:01 am

Gosh, that is tough. My Dr has no problem prescribing me valium (although I have been on it a long time), but he is cautious with the anti-anxiety meds that actually for me.

I have found the most effective to be Alprazolam (Xanax) and Lorazepam (Ativan) but unfortunately these are short-acting meds with a short half life which makes them potentially more addictive than valium as valium stays in the body much longer.

He used to prescribe Xanax until the law changed here and now you cannot get it without a psychiatrist assessing you and giving you a script. I went to a psych and he wouldn't prescribe them to me. It seems quite crazy to think that a psych could decide if I needed this medication when we had never met previously and he did not know a thing about me. I can see the argument in both ways.....as in, how can he say 'no' when he doesn't know me? or how can he say 'yes' when he doesn't know me?.
Personally I felt forced to source Xanax myself and I wonder how many others have too? I suppose if it is can be supplied, then there is a demand.

Anyhow that was a tangent.

My Dr prescribes Ativan but never more than he thinks I need, ie: I can't get a script filled if I got one filled two weeks prior.

The only meds I can think of that your Dr might prescribe would be getting into the anti-psychotic realm and I would not go down that route for anxiety as I find the drugs to be stupefying and numbing that is uncomfortable.

There are other benzo's that can be used as an alternate to Valium, such as Clonazepam (too heavy for me) and Oxazepam (I found that one worked), but they are ALL addictive so I don't know what your Dr will think.

Sorry I haven't been much help. Let me know how things pan out though
If I have to prove my worth to another, they aren't worth it
redrob
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:51 pm

Postby JasperStiglitz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 am

My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin/bupropion for my anxiety. It has not gone well. It's been a very unpleasant time. I am looking forward to seeing my new doctor tomorrow and discussing either tapering off or stopping the medication entirely.

Good luck with everything.
JasperStiglitz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:51 pm

Return to Anxiety Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post