Our partner

Long Term Care - Please Help!

Alzheimer's Disease message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

Long Term Care - Please Help!

Postby oldgrammy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Hello all,

My name is Karla Johnson and I am a 67 year old woman from Texas (yeehaw! :wink:). Here is my situation, I hope someone has advice for me as I really need it!

I have self diagnosed myself with the early stages of alzheimer's disease. My mother got it as well and I went through the whole process from start to current day (she is in now in a nursing home). Anyways, I was able to find a website that guided me through the application process for Long Term Care in my state (LongTermCareInsuranceFinder.com) and now that I have the quote back for how much it is going to cost me, I don't know if I can afford it! I have looked everywhere and it seems the free quote I got back from them was one of the lowest so that is not the problem, it is just that I have been out of work for quite some time and my husband is long passed away. My funds are running out and I am not sure where to turn next. I fear that I will become a financial burden to my family if I can not afford to pay for this Long Term Care Health Insurance which I think I will very desperately need soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions as where I may seek state or government funding for my Long Term Care payments? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am losing my mind day by day over this (literally!). Thank you!

-Old Grammy
oldgrammy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Long Term Care - Please Help!

Postby ScarlettLondon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm

I was just posting about the same type of concern for my loved one. It is time for long term care but i can not afford it! This is what I have found, maybe it would be an option for you as well or maybe not but I thought you might want to know about it. Knowing that there are
others out there facing the same challenges as I am makes it easier and gives me
strength.

My search yesterday was somewhat successful. I have been terrified of the
expenses I faced with long term care but know that I now have no choice but to
move forward with placing the one I love so I am looking into all of my options.

I have been doing some research and found that a possibility I have may be
Mexico. I live only minutes from the border so I would be very nearby. The cost
is only $1700 for a private room and $1500 for a shared room at the facility I
am looking at and it includes everything for the month.This facility is actually beachfront where my loved one can watch sun sets and dolphins. The idea of this peaceful atmosphere is very appealing. The nurses are all from the US and from speaking to the facility yesterday I am feeling very good about
this place. I think I will go and check it out tomorrow. Has anyone else used
Mexico as a more affordable option than care within the US and if so how do you
feel about it?

Thanks again and Bless You all.
ScarlettLondon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Long Term Care - Please Help!

Postby rosamel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:33 am

Hi, I know this post is a little later than what you expected. Generally, if you want to stay close to USA, it is good to go to Costa Rica, where most americans usually retire without many problems. At 1500 a month, you can live off good over there. If you want a cheaper alternative, go to Nicaragua, but it is not as safe.
Now regarding alzheimers, people make it sound like they got it and that there is nothing else they can do. To the poster who lives in texas, I am near houston, and we can exchange information if you want to know more about dealing with alzheimers.
If you want to know, alzheimers usually occurs after a prolonged period of neglect. Great ways to fight this endemic problem, is through dieting, exercising, supplementing, and mind-body exercises. These alternatives are relatively cheap, and require trivial investment. Oftentimes, people look for the hard way to solve their problems, which is often the "norm." PM if interested
rosamel
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Alzheimer's Disease Forum