Our partner

Do I have Trichotillomania?

Trichotillomania message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Do I have Trichotillomania?

Postby kathayes » Wed May 25, 2016 8:03 pm

I have memories of being bored in a class back in high school and noticing that I had tiny hairs growing out of my fingers, and I began biting them out. This progressed to me using tweezers to pluck them and digging the follicles out of my fingers (scratching away at my skin) before they came out of my fingers. This went on for possibly 15-years or so and I stopped, though I still have the urge to rip them out. I actually tried laser hair removal on my fingers to try to stop me from doing this. My new thing for the past 5-years has been to rip little hairs growing out of the inside of my ears, I do this with either my fingers or a tweezer, and can spend quite a bit of time using a tweezer to fish out a hair that I have no idea of its location.Sometimes my hands get sore from squeezing the tweezer over and over again. I always receive a sort of satisfaction when I pull a hair.

Do I have Trichotillomania? It seems it started from being annoyed by those tiny hairs on my fingers, though did it develop into something else??

Thanks
kathayes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do I have Trichotillomania?

Postby SquigglyDuck » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:29 pm

It does sound like Trich, but luckily you have picked the areas no one pays attention to! Mine also started when I was younger and bored. I was sitting at my dad's friend's house, on the couch, super bored, and pulled out a ton of eyelashes. At the time, I didn't think anything of it, until I got home and my mom freaked out on me. If pulling the hair gives you a feeling of satisfaction/relief, I would say that is one of the most prominent signs of Trich. :(

If you have had it for a while with that being those being the only signs, then you may not even want to worry about it, but it couldn't hurt to do some more research and work towards a cure.

Hope that helps! :)
SquigglyDuck
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Trichotillomania Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post