Our partner

Going off Latuda... Side Effects?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Jasper

Going off Latuda... Side Effects?

Postby AliceWolfe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:57 pm

So... I can't pay for my Latuda, so i went off of it. There's just no way in hell I am going to be able to pay for it. I have already noticed upset stomach, loss of appetite, and increased hallucinations, not that the latuda helped them more than about 10% anyhow. Any advice?
We're all mad here, Alice.

"Io sono in pace
Cor meum
Io sono in pace
Vide cor meum" <3

:twisted: Я анахронизм девушки :twisted:
AliceWolfe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Going off Latuda... Side Effects?

Postby Rattatat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Watch the rugby. It's the world cup final tonight. We play France and are gonna kick their ass!
Rattatat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby visualizations » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:02 am

Aww, that sucks that it didn't work out. You do have a strong type of schizophrenia. If you want to try another med that you cant pay for, theres usually "patient assistance programs" on the manufacters' site. Astrazeneca and so on. I wouldnt advise for typicals, but on the other hand I dont know everything. Alot of the typicals also block main adrenoceptors, so that risperal, saphris, fanapt fatique is still there.

MirageXD is on this obscure antipsychotic that is only available in other countries called sulpiride http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulpiride

It works differently than normal typical antipsychotics by blocking them presynaptically, more like an atypical. It also states that it activates GHB receptors, I don't know what the consciousness effect of this is exactly but I do know that GHB could be a positive effect. The cool part is that it doesnt block adrenoceptors like haldol does. This might be researchable, and connected intercontinently with some institution. But again this is supposed to be one of the "weaker" ones.

There are a bunch of atypicals, and maybe you can find one that doesn't give you alot of the effects that made you want to switch.

Although abilify, and latuda seem to be the best bet for that. Except they can be both activating of schizoaffective symptoms in case you have that.

If no singular medication covers your symptoms, you might want to try bits of different medications as Ive seen some of that work for some people.

When I used a low dose risperdal when I trialed abilify, the outcome was actually pretty good. Cause the abilify for me activated some parts of my schizophrenia like elation and color perception modulations. It was better than risperdal alone for example, or abilify alone since abilify has a "partial agonist" part to it. The combination also got rid of abilify's akathesia.

You just have to find tricks like that for maximum improvements of symptoms, with least side effects.

There is about 26 or so different medications, so you'll find the right one for you. For example, someone said "Geodon rules!" on a forum, but other people said it sucked.

Also, Did you notice any improvement with the antimanics, antidepressant, or benzodiazepine that your doctor first gave you? I think that was an experimental trial at tackling schizophrenia without an AP. If so, you should do anything to try to zap out the starting paranoia or whatever feelings you get to exaberate your hallucinations.
visualizations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby crazymoth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:17 am

MirageXD is on this obscure antipsychotic that is only available in other countries called sulpiride

I'm on this. I live in the USA but I buy it through an online pharmacy. It's been a life-saver. I feel like 75% better on it. It's also not too expensive. I take 50mg daily before I go to sleep along with 3mg risperdal. It's working.

Be sure you get enough sleep. If your hallucinations start up it might be good to lay down for an hour or so. I know that dopamine breaks down while you're sleeping and this helps alleviate the delusions.

Hope you're gonna be ok! :)
crazymoth's art: http://crazymoth.org/
crazymoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MirageXD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi people,

crazymoth wrote:I take 50mg daily before I go to sleep along with 3mg risperdal.

Actually, doses below 200mg are only useful as an antidepressant. At these doses, sulpiride binds to presynaptic dopamine autoreceptors, which usually doesn't cause any side effects, but when you increase the dose above 200mg, sulpiride starts to bind to postsynaptic receptors, and you experience sedation or cognitive effects.

For this reason, it works like an antidepressant at low doses (<200mg), and as an antipsychotic at doses of 400mg and more (up to 1200mg). The recommended maintenance dose for schizophrenia is around 600mg. 50mg certainly cannot work!

Sulpiride doesn't have any side effects for me except decreased libido. This side effect is actually always present, because this drug causes prolactinemia (increased release of prolactine) which effeciently kills your libido.

Crazymoth, you say you take risperidone as well. I hope you are aware that medium doses are the most effective ones. Low or high doses are less effective than medium doses. It's quite strange, but that's how it is with risperidone.
MirageXD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post