Our partner

overcoming avolition: how?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

overcoming avolition: how?

Postby blackbird86 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 pm

so i've got goals, and i sorta start accomplishing them, and get close, then blam. i haven't had a job since i became schizoaffective 6, 7 years ago. i haven't been able to finish a semester at college. i just sorta...stop going. right now i am hoping to become a personal trainer, bench press 300, and do an amateur mma fight...but the avolition is starting to take hold again and im finding myself sitting in bed in front of this computer all day again. doc started my on straterra for the avolition when i told him i took it 7 years ago and it increased my productivity 'til i stopped taking it a few days later. i think this might just be a placebo attempt though.

is there any treatment for avolition? drugs? attitudes? i'd really like to achieve some of my goals one of these days.
blackbird86
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: overcoming avolition: how?

Postby jasmin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi, blackbird86! If these meds worked once, maybe they will again, give it a try. Also, you can try posting in the medication forum too, for more answers.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 am

Postby Leon1301 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:13 pm

I can sympathise with your situation. I used to go to the gym 5 times a week and have done so for the past 13 years. A couple of months ago I just stopped going. No motivation at all. The very thought of it makes me feel sick with worry.
Leon1301
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 am

Postby purrin » Mon May 28, 2012 12:13 am

Yes there IS and attitude that helps. It's helping me and I've been struggling with avolition for 20 years!

First of all the way I cam across this is filling my head with a lot of inspirational stuff, soul food, and postive reading, rather than too much news and stuff. Eventually it sinks in.

The other thing is never take drugs, the highs, the lows, the addictions, etc etc, it won't help in the long term.

OK this is what it is:

You have to focus on your strenghts.

Write down a long list of all the things you're good at, have ever been good at, and positve character traits. YOu don't have to be a superstar at these things, just simple things that you are more ok at than bad. Could be your walk, or gaming or dishwashing, uhuh the dishes were my main struggle in life before, anything. lol. Those are all the the things that you are good at.

Now stick it on a sticky note in igoogle or whatver diary you use!

Don't only read over it everyday. But think about them, make a mental note of things as well.

REally begin to focus on your strenghts. That way you will start to see things in proportion.

When you are coming from a place of weakness ie: avolition, procrastination, simple tasks will loom as enormous and very hard.

When you're coming from a place of strentghts, you will realise yuo can cope with more and more.

joesgoals.com has changed my life lately. I put all my goals in it and track them. It gave my life structure it didn't have before and it's really motivating using a goal tracker! This also has an igoogle badge. (Go igoogle). I also keep an accomplishments and gratitude log there.

Remeber there are lots of things about you. There is no one global principle like avolition ruling your life. You don't have avolition about ALL things ALL of the time.

Never focus on one single task you're procrastinating on and let it build up out of all proportion. Focus on strenghts and good feelings instead. Even if it's just an upbeat song on the radio. That way you are not feeding the avolition.

In th words of the iching there is not one single principle that is the solution to everything. You have to be flexible according to the time. So stop looking for that. Think of everything about yourself. YOU will feel more whole when you begin focusing on all your strengths.

Don't just focus on one strength, think about a few. Sometimes one is enough to get you up and going. Focusing on a few can give you the power to rock.

This will all build too, so it comes more naturally. And you begin to build a positve self image.

So you won't find yourself 'confessing' your weaknesses anymore to people either (and kicking yourself later), which is a bonus, you'll be confident instead.

Make it an ongoing project to add to your list of strenghts and things you are good at and postive character attributes. And really focus ont hose instead of your weaknesses.

It's working for me!

I really hope it works for you too!
purrin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Postby purrin » Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 am

Yes there IS and attitude that helps. It's helping me and I've been struggling with avolition for 20 years!

First of all the way I cam across this is filling my head with a lot of inspirational stuff, soul food, and postive reading, rather than too much news and stuff. Eventually it sinks in.

The other thing is never take drugs, the highs, the lows, the addictions, etc etc, it won't help in the long term.

OK this is what it is:

You have to focus on your strenghts.

Write down a long list of all the things you're good at, have ever been good at, and positve character traits. YOu don't have to be a superstar at these things, just simple things that you are more ok at than bad. Could be your walk, or gaming or dishwashing, uhuh the dishes were my main struggle in life before, anything. lol. Those are all the the things that you are good at.

Now stick it on a sticky note in igoogle or whatver diary you use!

Don't only read over it everyday. But think about them, make a mental note of things as well.

REally begin to focus on your strenghts. That way you will start to see things in proportion.

When you are coming from a place of weakness ie: avolition, procrastination, simple tasks will loom as enormous and very hard.

When you're coming from a place of strentghts, you will realise yuo can cope with more and more.

joesgoals.com has changed my life lately. I put all my goals in it and track them. It gave my life structure it didn't have before and it's really motivating using a goal tracker! This also has an igoogle badge. (Go igoogle). I also keep an accomplishments and gratitude log there.

Remeber there are lots of things about you. There is no one global principle like avolition ruling your life. You don't have avolition about ALL things ALL of the time.

Never focus on one single task you're procrastinating on and let it build up out of all proportion. Focus on strenghts and good feelings instead. Even if it's just an upbeat song on the radio. That way you are not feeding the avolition.

In th words of the iching there is not one single principle that is the solution to everything. You have to be flexible according to the time. So stop looking for that. Think of everything about yourself. YOU will feel more whole when you begin focusing on all your strengths.

Don't just focus on one strength, think about a few. Sometimes one is enough to get you up and going. Focusing on a few can give you the power to rock.

This will all build too, so it comes more naturally. And you begin to build a positve self image.

So you won't find yourself 'confessing' your weaknesses anymore to people either (and kicking yourself later), which is a bonus, you'll be confident instead.

Make it an ongoing project to add to your list of strenghts and things you are good at and postive character attributes. And really focus ont hose instead of your weaknesses.

It's working for me!

I really hope it works for you too!
purrin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Postby renaissoxx » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:50 pm

I think one possibility is that it is caused by a lack of interaction with others that might be interested in what you have to do and say. I have a lot of lofty goals, but the amount of work and length of time required to accomplish them makes it seem like the daily grind involved isn't rewarding enough. I think the loftiness of the goals is related to the fact that I don't really share my daily activities with anyone as well. Success would mean some attention from people I don't know currently.

My guess would be just to force yourself to interact with people you don't currently know, and to try and be optimistic about them eventually be interested in what you are doing. Once you have conditioned yourself to believe other people interested in your actions, you might be imagining that support while taking each step along the path.
renaissoxx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 am

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder