Our partner

Think my friend has Munchausen's, family is enabling. Ideas?

Munchausen Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

Think my friend has Munchausen's, family is enabling. Ideas?

Postby jlmitch12 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:41 am

Hello, and thanks for reading. I think a friend of mine (more of an acquaintance to me, but close to my best friend) has Munchausen's. Over the last couple of years she has claimed to have had several medical ailments and procedures, and now she's beginning to make medical claims that simply don't make sense, such as getting 40 Botox injections for migraines down the length of her spine, her stomach being twisted for days, etc. Now she's claiming to have stage 4 lung cancer with a prognosis of 2 to 4 years, which makes no sense, because she would be extremely ill, losing weight, etc, and she's simply not, and stage 4 cancer shouldn't have such a lengthy prognosis in my experience. She also claims this diagnosis was made via an MRA, which from my research is basically an MRI that focuses on vascular issues in the head, neck and spine, and has nothing to do with detecting cancer, and she claims these biopsy results returned in about four days. I know for a fact results aren't that quick (I have autoimmune disease and a neurological motor disorder, so I've had plenty of testing myself, and know the territory). And she always goes to appointments alone, so no one has spoken to the doctor themselves to verify any of this. My best friend and this girl's best friend are very concerned and don't know what to do. They have tried talking to the girl's brother and husband about it, but they are either in denial or enabling these behaviors. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to handle this situation to get help for this girl, because I'm concerned that soon the lies aren't going to be enough to get the sympathy she's looking for and she's going to begin actually hurting herself, and I really want her to get help before it goes that far. And even though I refer to her as a "girl" we're in our 30's, so just talking to her parents probably isn't going to do a whole lot. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.
jlmitch12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Think my friend has Munchausen's, family is enabling. Ideas?

Postby Lennie » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:27 am

Hi!
How did it go? Did you contfront her? If you did, how did you confront her?
Lennie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Munchausen Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post