Our partner

Strong emotions, especially shame

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Strong emotions, especially shame

Postby snookiebookie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:41 am

Hi all

I've been working hard dealing with my anxieties and for the most part, making head way. I have a clearer grip on the nature of my problems and how they function. It helps me deal with my condition and life.

I've hit a bit of a stumbling block. I find certain situations set off very intense emotions. It can be fear, anger (usually internalised), guilt etc. I get a strong physical sensation, which I presume is some biological response (Cortisol or adrenaline). I then almost feel like I'm shrinking, or that the world is closing in (I suppose a panic response, fight or flight response due to the chemicals in my system). Then the feeling can sit with me for hours or days. And if I think back to the trigger I can relive the emotion.

The emotion I am really struggling with is shame. I've noticed that it is the one that I feel the most. It can be the smallest thing that sets it off. The most recent thing is that I accidentally knocked something over and broke something. This was a pure accident but the shame I felt is still with me a day later. It's diminished a bit, but it's still there.

I am doing yoga and mindfulness exercises. I live pretty healthily - I've reduced sugar and caffeine. I walk 4-5 miles per day. I don't drink, smoke or use recreational or prescription drugs. I've had therapy several times including CBT. I attend a fortnightly anxiety group. But still these moments of strong emotional reaction come and they are difficult to deal with. It brings my mood down and makes it hard to function. And as the incident happen, they seem to compound on each other. I'm scared that I'm heading for a breakdown due to an accumulation of emotion following so many small incidents.

Anyone else get this? Any tips or advice?
AvPD & INFJ.
A dash of Social Anxiety Disorder and GAD
Possible C-PTSD
Definitely Atychiphobia
BUT .....all round, good egg.
snookiebookie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Strong emotions, especially shame

Postby eterea107 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am

My therapist helped me with feelings of shame immensely--talk frankly with your therapist about it. If you already have and are still having issues, I'd consider asking your therapist for a referral to a therapist that can help you. Life is too fleeting to feel shame.
Love yet violence, is yet love. I love you.
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 6:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post