Our partner

Is this child neglect?

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, quietgirl2538, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Is this child neglect?

Postby tiredsouthcarolina » Tue May 16, 2017 11:46 pm

My parents separated in 2012 and divorced in 2014. I was 12 and my sister was 8.
My dad was emotionally abusive towards me during my childhood, and as a result I was diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and severe anxiety. I didn't speak to his for three years (our relationship is better-ish).
Anyways my sister turned around when she was 10 or 11 and said all that happened to me actually happened to her, and with a few embellishments like my father raped her and hit her (which is not true in the slightest, and I know it for a fact). She doesn't talk to him and she self harms for attention. When I self harmed, I hid it and no one would know unless I told them. She flaunts it like a status symbol.
My mother slowly stopped parenting altogether. I helped raise my siblings when my parents still lived together, and I became the only parent in the house after. My mom sets no discipline on anyone, she lets my brother and sister do whatever the hell they want, and there are no repercussions. Since my dad moved out, my sister has been caught by police twice, has had the school resource officer called on her, bullied people online, stolen money from me, my brother, and my mother (which my mom blamed on me), and threaten to accuse my boyfriend of rape because she was angry with me. She cusses like a sailor, has no respect for any authority, and drinks my mother's alcohol. My mom has done nothing about this. She's 13 years old and almost 200 pounds, and has a 19 year old internet boyfriend. I mean the list goes on. I had to prove to my mom that she stole her credit card and money from our kid brother. Hell she stole $80 from me, and bought $80 of stuff from the mall with my mom, and my mom didn't think it was related. She's in complete denial and doesn't listen to me at all. I am just sick of living in a house where no one cleans up after themselves, and I'm expected to do it. Is there anything I can do?
tiredsouthcarolina
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 11:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is this child neglect?

Postby KSalem » Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 am

The only comment I can give you is that some people who do self-harm actually do feel pride from it. Some get a rush of strength and pride. I realise that's the smaller issue among your complaints.

It sounds like mom has depression. She just can't deal, no energy left to act or care. I know some young people in this situation. I hope that you become a generational changer, that is, someone who bucks the trend to creates a loving, healthy, productive household for your own children in the future.

K
KSalem
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun May 28, 2017 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Snaga » Wed May 24, 2017 5:31 am

tiredsouthcarolina wrote:s there anything I can do?

Get out, soon as you're financially able to.

one piece of advice I can give, from having seen it happen more than once, is don't use marriage as an escape-I've seen that method to get out of a dysfunctional home situation, crash and burn on more than one occasion. Best if you can swing being on your own, on your own.

Unless someone can think of a method to change your family...
Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP. And a bunch of weirdness.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 10:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Terry E. » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 am

Snaga wrote:
tiredsouthcarolina wrote:s there anything I can do?

Get out, soon as you're financially able to.

sometimes it is the only step, other times the first step. Either way plan for your future and don't carry and albatross or try and fight battles you can never win
Terry E.

Local time: Sun May 28, 2017 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post