Our partner

People keep belittling my abuse

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

People keep belittling my abuse

Postby venome » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 pm

My therapist keeps just telling me "he doesn't understand" and that I "need to talk to him more" (my dad). I just. I want to tell them how he terrorized me, but it's so hard when they keep treating it like the typical "my dad sucks" relationship. It's not. He. Terrorized me. How can I convince them?
Issues: Self-confidence/Image, Communication, Dissociation, Paranoia, Asocial
Phobias: Failure, Separation, Rejection, Socializing
Disorders: Depression, Social Anxiety, Body Dyspmorphia
Possible: BPD
Issues Started: 2010
Other: Verbally abused
About: Transmasc., They/He, 16
venome
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: People keep belittling my abuse

Postby Baldanders » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Get a different therapist if you can.
I have had so many people act like the abuse towards me didn't happen or that it was ok and I have never been able to convince any of these people to take me seriously. (Also *hugs* and solidarity.) Not to say that you never will, but I think if your therapist isn't taking you seriously, it would be better to get one that does.
Baldanders
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm

I experienced the same with a "present time" very good friend of mine. I swear I would have ended the friendship if she hadn't come around. She didn't seem to respect my decision to remove my mom out of my life. I always recommend being around people who love and respect you entirely. I think that if my therapist were to make me feel like what I have to share is no big deal, it would be time to leave and get a new and better one. Good luck. Keep us updated.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 4.5 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day

Forum Rules
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 am
Blog: View Blog (67)

Postby quietaj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm sorry, that sounds like it sucks :cry: I definitely would talk to your therapist about your feelings (especially in regards to how the therapist is treating this), and if they still refuse to listen, I would change therapists if it was possible. You deserve respect and understanding, especially by someone who is meant to support you!
AJ, 19, He/They
dx: ocd, ptsd, possibly bpd
quietaj
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KSalem » Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 am

venome wrote:My therapist keeps just telling me "he doesn't understand" and that I "need to talk to him more" (my dad). I just. I want to tell them how he terrorized me, but it's so hard when they keep treating it like the typical "my dad sucks" relationship. It's not. He. Terrorized me. How can I convince them?

AMEN! A-f'n-MEN!

I've had therapists tell me: "Focus on the present." Really!? Wow, thanks for the tip. I never thought of that one!

A doctorate, a residency, years and years of rigorous training and the best you can come up with is: "Focus on the present" ...? INSANE.
KSalem
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Terry E. » Sat May 27, 2017 2:32 am

KSalem wrote:
venome wrote:My therapist keeps just telling me "he doesn't understand" and that I "need to talk to him more" (my dad). I just. I want to tell them how he terrorized me, but it's so hard when they keep treating it like the typical "my dad sucks" relationship. It's not. He. Terrorized me. How can I convince them?

AMEN! A-f'n-MEN!

I've had therapists tell me: "Focus on the present." Really!? Wow, thanks for the tip. I never thought of that one!

A doctorate, a residency, years and years of rigorous training and the best you can come up with is: "Focus on the present" ...? INSANE.

thanks for that. Made my day.

"tell me how you feel "

better yet give me a baseball bat and I can show you !!
Terry E.

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post