Our partner

Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder

Postby Beatrix Kiddo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:32 am

Is this exactly the same thing as BPD?
Beatrix Kiddo
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder

Postby Kyrie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 am

Yes, it's the 'new less stigma attached' name.. at least in the UK it's the official name for BPD now.

Honestly it sounds worse to me <_<
Kyrie
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Postby flowingtears » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 am

It's the name for it in the ICD-10, which is the diagnostic manual used in Europe.

F60.30 Impulsive type

At least three of the following must be present, one of which must be (2):

1. marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences;
2. marked tendency to quarrelsome behaviour and to conflicts with others, especially when impulsive acts are thwarted or criticized;
3. liability to outbursts of anger or violence, with inability to control the resulting behavioural explosions;
4. difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward;
5. unstable and capricious mood.

F60.31 Borderline type

At least three of the symptoms mentioned in F60.30 Impulsive type must be present [see above], with at least two of the following in addition:

1. disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences (including sexual);
2. liability to become involved in intense and unstable relationships, often leading to emotional crisis;
3. excessive efforts to avoid abandonment;
4. recurrent threats or acts of self-harm;
5. chronic feelings of emptiness.
6. demonstrates impulsive behaviour i.e speeding, substance abuse [26]
~The Official Crazy Cat Lady
flowingtears
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (34)

Postby Beatrix Kiddo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks, both. I've just been sorting through some paperwork and it was on the initial assessment letter from the first psychiatrist I saw a few years ago (although he'd put that I was F60.30, when F60.31 fits much better in my opinion. I think he put F60.30 because I stormed out of that meeting. I only read the letter he wrote just now because the meeting was so awful I couldn't face it.

Why is only one of the two types 'borderline'? Does anybody know? If you're diagnosed as Impulsive Type, do you not have BPD after all? I know it's not hugely important now because my diagnosis has changed since that letter but it still bothers me for some reason. Is there a non-borderline type of BPD (if you see what I mean)?

Kyrie wrote:Honestly it sounds worse to me <_<

Me too. Much worse.
Beatrix Kiddo
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby flowingtears » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm not entirely certain why only one of the 2 types is "borderline". However, I do believe that both of them are "borderline personality disorder". I think a lot of it is to do with whether you tend more so to "act in" or "act out", if that makes sense?
flowingtears
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MissAli » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 pm

In short as it was already explained, yes it means the same thing. Here in the States, it's still BPD until the DSM-V comes out.

Regardless, I think it was either BSL or biitchelectric that said it best: "I would rather be called 'borderline', because it sounds so much cooler and edgy'.

^^ I agree with this ^^

LOL!

AMP 8)
Knowing other people is intelligence, knowing yourself is wisdom.

Mastering other people is strength, mastering yourself is power.

If you realize that what you have is enough, you will be rich, truly rich.

~Tao

The Rulez: http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php
MissAli
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Postby flowingtears » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:56 pm

The ICD definition is such a mouthful. My "official" diagnosis is "emotionally unstable personality disorder, borderline type", but it's sooooo much easier just to say "borderline personality disorder".
flowingtears
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Casper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 pm

MissAli wrote:In short as it was already explained, yes it means the same thing. Here in the States, it's still BPD until the DSM-V comes out.

Regardless, I think it was either BSL or biitchelectric that said it best: "I would rather be called 'borderline', because it sounds so much cooler and edgy'.

^^ I agree with this ^^

LOL!

AMP 8)

Another vote for that quote. "Borderline" has a little hint of the unknown. "Emotionally Unstable" makes it sound like I'm going to start bawling for no apparent reason. Granted, that may be true, but when you're applying labels to people who cling to identities, at least give us a decent label to cling to!
Sorry that I ruin everything.
I don't do it on purpose.
Casper
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Postby Lily82 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:10 pm

JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Another vote for that quote. "Borderline" has a little hint of the unknown. "Emotionally Unstable" makes it sound like I'm going to start bawling for no apparent reason. Granted, that may be true, but when you're applying labels to people who cling to identities, at least give us a decent label to cling to!

Lol so true. I am not going to tell people I have 'Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder'.

'Borderline' sounds ambigious, and you can describe it in your own terms. I would prefer a label that validates the trauma. BPD is basically a form of PTSD, and this should be reflected.

But yeah, as you say, when you cling to your label as an identity, it should be something that doesn't sound so awful.
Lily82
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Postby Beatrix Kiddo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 pm

flowingtears wrote:I'm not entirely certain why only one of the 2 types is "borderline". However, I do believe that both of them are "borderline personality disorder". I think a lot of it is to do with whether you tend more so to "act in" or "act out", if that makes sense?

That does make sense. Thanks.

I've been irrationally worried about that letter having the 'wrong' diagnosis in it. I've known about the BPD for so long now that it's part of me (it is me), so it sent me into a kind of tailspin earlier. Stupid :roll:.

I really dislike this new name for BPD. Did anybody think to ask us what we'd prefer? I'm glad you guys seem to agree with me, anyway!
Beatrix Kiddo
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post