Our partner

Difference between a BPD and HPD

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Casper

Difference between a BPD and HPD

Postby WasBlindButNowISee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi. I'm relatively new to this board but it has been a great source of comfort to me as I recover from my own experience of having been deeply in love with (and then abruptly devalued and discarded by) a borderline. Twice! I was wondering if anyone could please clarify for me though the distinction between BPD and HPD (Histrionic Personality Disorder) as they both seem very similar and my ex certainly ticked all the boxes for both disorders.

Also, just as an aside and a bit of info for others also recovering from being in a relationship with a borderline, or for those wanting a bit of insight into what a relationship with someone with BPD is like, may I suggest a great podcast/interview with Canadian actor and comedian Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall, News Radio, A Bugs Life) that aired a few months back on the WTF podcast with Marc Maron. It can be found on iTunes and it is episode #146 I believe. In the second half of the interview he talks about his 11 year marriage and children with a woman diagnosed with severe BPD. I've lost track of how many times I have listened to this interview now as I can relate to every word of it and it perfectly describes my own experience. I am curious what others recovering from a relationship with a borderline might think and if they can relate to it as well.

I am so thankful to have found this board and to know that there are others out there who have had similar experiences as mine, although you do have my genuine and deepest sympathy. I have never been in this kind of pain in my life before, and it is taking so long to heal.
WasBlindButNowISee
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Difference between a BPD and HPD

Postby Cpt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:15 am

My HPD run-in was a BPD minus the suicide stuff and freaky sex(she was a big slvt and bragged about how good she was in bed but she was not...she acted like a Narc in bed). HPD's are attention whores. They are not really depressed.
Cpt
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: Difference between a BPD and HPD

Postby Twistedmister » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:15 am

I have both BPD and HPD............. and i think the difference would lie in the stableness of the sense of self.

BPD's can often seemingly change from one personality to another, depending on the situation they are in. (mentally, environmentally etc.)

So, for example.........if i'm with some angry folks......i tend to become more angry.

If i'm with some happy folks, i tend to become more happy.

If i'm with a bunch of kids.........i tend to act like a kid.

If i'm with a bunch of old ladies...........i tend to talk about the good ol' days. And how young people have no respect anymore. (ok that isn't true....but you get the point)

A person with BPD, may have a lot of identity issues.

Like for example, i sometimes see myself as a nice caring person. Other times, a very cold calculating selfish person.

I often drift back and forth between liking people and feeling nothing for them at all. Even people, i currently (HPD) value.

Also, my opinions...........can rapidly change.

"i'm not into guys at all" "ooh he's hot, i'd do him"

Some days i log on here and actually want to help people and care about how they feel.

Other days, i log on here and just want attention and am as far from caring about how anyone feels as i could be.

(more like some hours, some minutes)

I think most HPDs, generally know what they want.........they just stop wanting it.

Whereas, BPDs, constantly shift between wanting what they want, and then not knowing if they actually want it.

Also, HPDs don't seem to be as outwardly sad. Plus i guess the emptiness.

I'm not sure if HPDs get the whole emptiness thing.
Borderline
Twistedmister
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post