The site will undergo a maintenance process for a few minutes. Please finish your post as it will start quickly.

If you experiment issues after the maintenance, please reload the page, clear your browser cache and if needed restart your browser.

Psychforums Team.

Our partner

Treating ADHD w/bipolar

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Treating ADHD w/bipolar

Postby voracious_lemon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 pm

My pdoc has recently diagnosed me with adult ADHD in addition to my bipolar diagnosis that I've had for a few years now. Because of my proneness to mania I cannot take stimulants (or antidepressants). I do want to overcome this and be able to go back to school and get my degree but that just ain't happening until I can sit still for the duration of the class and focus on course work.
Anyone else here have bipolar and successfully treat your ADHD? How?
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Treating ADHD w/bipolar

Postby soullessandcynical » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi, nice to meet you

I totally get where you're coming from, I'm also in the same position. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the reason I can't focus/sit still is due to a hypomanic/manic phase or the ADHD. I'm currently not taking anything, but when I was first diagnosed with both of them, they put me on a combination of Ritalin, Prozac, and Wellbutrin...I know you said that meds are kind of out of the question, but that combinaion did seem to help for a bit...the only issue was that it also made me feel very numb. But from what I've been told Wellbutrin by itself is one of the least likely antidepressants to cause manic episodes, and can also help with ADHD. I don't want to give medical advice, but perhaps if it's a possibility at all you can ask about Wellbutrin? If that's not possible, a lot of universities have programs to help students with mental illness?
soullessandcynical
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post