Our partner

Separation anixety from teachers...

Separation Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Separation anixety from teachers...

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:39 am

I am a student who has been through alot of things in my life. I am currently finishing Grade 12 in an alternate program that runs at night. When I was young my mother drank, and my father was not around. When I looked online I discovered that mostly all of the childhood symptoms of Separation Anxiety applied to the foolish things I was doing as a child. I don't suffer from all of the symptoms anymore, but some are still very real to me. When I was 16 my mother sent me to live with my father whom I had no experiance with. So I was then placed into Ministry Care, until i was 17 and went to live with my father again. I have demished most of my unhealthy behaviour such as cutting and drugs, with the help of my amazing teachers. Alot of bad things happened in the past years and my teachers have been an amazing support. I talk to them everyday about everything, I am extremely close with them and we are all aware of what is coming at the end of the year. And we are all aware that it is going to be extremely difficult for me to cope with leaving. I have been informed that they will see me out side of school, and they will always be there. But my familiar childhood trauma tells me to not believe it and to believe that they won't love me when they no longer "have to".... I was hoping that since there seems to be nooo information anywhere about TEENAGERS suffering from this that someone could help me... My teachers and I want to prepare me for this and figure out how they can help me... Thanks to anyone who can tell me!

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Rise Against » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:04 pm

I know exactly what you mean. Im in secondry school and hold onto my teachers because theres no one else. Im with them every break and lunchtime. they are all so amazing and help me whenever and whatever. Fortunatly our school has a college aswell so I dont have to leave to soon.

I realise its going to be so hard to leave but if they've all promised to see you outside of school they obviously care for you very much. Ive learnt to believe that adults you respect and who like you for who you are don't lie and wont waste their precious free time on someone who they thought wasnt worth it. Your worth it.

Do you have a therapist? If not I think it would be a really good idea to find one. Someone you like and trust and who can, not replace these people, but talk to you about your feelings and help you over come your anxietys of seperation.

I realise this wont have been much help but your not alone. Im scared aswell.
Rise Against
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Separation anixety from teachers...

Postby jennismortal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 pm

It depends on the age. I would say if they are 4 and younger, the teacher can comfort the child for a little while, try to distract him or her with toys or other things, maybe give him or her a snack, etc. and if nothing works, simply leave them alone and go to the other children, keeping an eye out for the crier, making sure he or she is safe and not trying to escape the classroom. Sometimes it helps to start the program a little earlier such as a greeting time or group activity as a class. It gives the child a routine to follow and lets them see how the other children are responding in class. Usually the child just needs assurance that he/she is in a safe environment, an adult is close at hand if he or she needs help and that his or her parent WILL come back eventually. No amount of hugs or talking to the child or trying to assure him or her will help. They just have to see and experience it for themselves over a period of time to understand the new environment.
Something a teacher should never do is ask the parent to stay for the day or allow the parent to stay in the classroom until the child gets over his or her anxiety. That never, ever works and even prolongs the whole suffering!
jennismortal
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Separation Anxiety Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post