Our partner

is this separation anxiety disorder?

Separation Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

is this separation anxiety disorder?

Postby fairydustxmagic » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 am

Whenever I leave my mom or sister for along time I cry and i kinda freak out inside. I just want to be with them and no one else. I am with my mom a lot. I mean when she goes to school i know she will be back. But say i go out to the mall with my friends like i dunno when ill be back home and i just want to be with her.
Smile, Keep your head up and try to think positive.
fairydustxmagic
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi,

Separation Anxiety is a childhood disorder only and there is probably another name for what you have right now. It could be, for example, that you are only comfortable with things and people that you know and are familiar with. Many people who have anxiety and stress in their lives exhibit behaviour like this.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am

Postby fairydustxmagic » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:52 pm

thank you
Smile, Keep your head up and try to think positive.
fairydustxmagic
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Chucky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:12 pm

You're welcome my friend. I hope that my information proves useful to you.

Regards,
Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: is this separation anxiety disorder?

Postby jennismortal » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 am

Separation anxiety is developmentally normal in infants and toddlers until approximately age 3-4 years, when mild distress and clinging behavior occur when children are separated from their primary caregivers or attachment figures.
Some children may be more vulnerable to separation anxiety based on their temperament or based on environmental stresses such as the death of a close relative or an interactive pattern with an over-protective, needy, or depressed parent. Transient developmental fears are generally normal and do not interfere with normal functioning or result in long-term developmental difficulty; however, studies show a subgroup of children who do not meet the criteria for diagnosis of an anxiety disorder but who may have substantial impairment later in life. Studies of children,in first grade, present with significant symptoms of anxiety reflect a correlation with significant impairment in reading.
jennismortal
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Re: is this separation anxiety disorder?

Postby Borats1mom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 am

Separation anxiety disorder does exist in adults. It is called Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder. What does not exist in adults is separation anxiety, which is what infants and young children experience and is normal in childhood. I am actually concerned that I have ASAD... I've been doing some research and that seems to be what's going on with me. I can't bare for my fiancee to go to work. Every time he leaves, I start to cry and become so terrified something is going to happen to him while he's gone. I am actually in tears right now and I can not stop crying. When I am at work and he is at home, if I call or text him and he doesn't answer or respond, I will call him non-stop and freak out after about five minutes of this. I will automatically feel like something horrible happened to him... I am always so worried about him, but also about myself. I get so scared when I'm by myself and feel like something is going to happen to me too. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing co-existing anxiety disorders, or just ASAD... Just know, that ASAD does exist, and if you're become upset like that every time you are away from your mom and sister... It sounds like you've got ASAD as well.
Borats1mom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Separation Anxiety Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post