Our partner

Sedatephobia: The extreme and irrational fear of silence

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Sedatephobia: The extreme and irrational fear of silence

Postby DontTouchThatDial » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:35 pm

This is mostly so I can talk about this? Nobody in my personal life cares to listen, so shouting to the void of a forum works. At least I get my thoughts out.

So, I have sedatephobia. It's the extreme fear of silence. From a brief search, it seems this phobia isn't uncommon, which means there's a decent chance someone reading this could know how this fear feels.

I've been struggling with this phobia for as long as I can remember, which is not fun when silence follows us everywhere. I do have two other phobias, but neither really come up in my day to day life; tomophobia, the intense fear of surgeries (and while my mental health may not be great, physically I'm pretty well off. Hopefully, the only surgeries I'll need moving forward are GRS surgeries far off in the future haha) and thalassophobia, fear of the ocean (Without being specific, I am not near the ocean, and I can count how many times I've been in or around it on one hand.).

Anyway, moving on from my rambling. Sedatephobia can be a bitch if you're often times in situations of silence. So, I often wear headphones. Recently,I've taken up wearing bone conducting headphones, so they're barely visible underneath my hair. Those who've chosen to question them ask if they're hearing aids. I am not deaf, but slightly hard of hearing. Either way, they aren't hearing aids. I've found it quite amusing.

Anyway, I guess my recommendation to anyone who is also sedatephobic is to get bone conducting headphones. Cheap ones are like, 17 dollars on Amazon. Very helpful for fighting this thing!
DontTouchThatDial
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post