Our partner

tinnitus

Pain Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

tinnitus

Postby thefool » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 am

I know this is not physical pain as such but its a condition i have developed and have trouble dealing with does anyone else suffer from this ? it is horrid.
"what doesn't kill you makes you wish you were dead.
thefool
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:15 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: tinnitus

Postby Emily-Lee » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi,

I've suffered tinnitus for so long I can't remember now, it's just become a part of me. Sometimes it does get louder than normal and I do the typical airplane thing of holding my nose and blowing out my ears and that normally returns the volume to 'normal'.

I basically hear what sounds like crickets all the time but with the kids blaring tvs and stuff I know it's there but don't hear it, it's only in quiet times that's it's noticeable.

I've never received treatment for it, I'm not sure if there is any but there should be some kind of support group you can find to hopefully give you more information than I have.

Good luck.
Emily-Lee
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Angelofmercy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 am

I'm going to tell my daughter to try the thing you mentioned about how you un pop your ears on an airplane, and see if that works. She complains about this all of the time, and tells me it dries her crazy! I thought it might have something to do with her TMJ (Temporal Mandibular Joint Syndrome) as I have that really bad too, and it causes all sorts of odd symptoms. She also grinds her teeth at night....it's like nails on a chalkboard LOL I know I clench at night but I hope I don't grind like she does!
This info is from an article off Web MD

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/ ... -disorders

"Temporomandibular disorders (TMJ) occur as a result of problems with the jaw, jaw joint, and surrounding facial muscles that control chewing and moving the jaw. These disorders are often incorrectly called TMJ, which stands for temporomandibular joint.

What Is the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ)?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull, which is immediately in front of the ear on each side of your head. The joints are flexible, allowing the jaw to move smoothly up and down and side to side and enabling you to talk, chew, and yawn. Muscles attached to and surrounding the jaw joint control the position and movement of the jaw.

What Causes TMJ?
The cause of TMJ is not clear, but dentists believe that symptoms arise from problems with the muscles of the jaw or with the parts of the joint itself.

Injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or muscles of the head and neck -- such as from a heavy blow or whiplash -- can cause TMJ. Other possible causes include:

Grinding or clenching the teeth, which puts a lot of pressure on the TMJ
Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket
Presence of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ
Stress, which can cause a person to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth
TMJ - Illustration of Temporomandibular Joint

What Are the Symptoms of TMJ?
People with TMD can experience severe pain and discomfort that can be temporary or last for many years. More women than men experience TMJ, and it is seen most commonly in people between the ages of 20 and 40.

Common symptoms of TMJ include:

Pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
Limited ability to open the mouth very wide
Jaws that get "stuck" or "lock" in the open- or closed-mouth position
Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth (which may or may not be accompanied by pain) or chewing
A tired feeling in the face
Difficulty chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite -- as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
Swelling on the side of the face
May occur on one or both sides of the face
Other common symptoms of TMD include toothaches, headaches, neck aches, dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitis).
Just a thought................
It's the Dance of Life that makes us whole. When you get the chance.....Dance
Angelofmercy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:15 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby bobb » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:05 pm

My ears ring a lot.
[right now} very high pitch noise. sometimes more intense than others. pressure in my head excessive ear wax. migraine, very stiff neck, pain above my ears on my head. been going on for years off and on.
Sumatriptan for migraine works wonders is Incredible. its prescription med in US.
I have ben taking Claritin {over the counter} lately. the ringing in my ear is much better. .. lower pitch , not so intense. no side affects. ask your Dr.
Also when I close my eyes & do a little self hypnosis I can get it to go to a 5 from an 8. I tell myself
Calm, no pain, I feel good, no pleasure, getting better, moving down to a 7, better, 6 calm.
Self hypnosis works very {for many things} good with a little practice.
bobb
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:15 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Banned » Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 pm

most drugs AD cause tinnitus

I have tinnitus since 13y.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAjJogJ0cs
Banned
Consumer 0