Our partner

adult odd?

Oppositional Defiant Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

adult odd?

Postby ODDammit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:22 am

it seems not to exist, so what happens to an O.D.D child when they grow up? does it turn into something else? what? i don't get it.

even the late teen spectrum of this disorder seems to be foggy, but there's no information whatsoever on what comes next.

i was diagnosed with it when i was little, i'm 20 now and despite a whole bunch of other diagnosis they keep trying to pin on me, this one still feels like the best fit. sooo is there some secret little corner of the interweb where everyone else with these concerns are hiding? cause i got nothin.
ODDammit
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ODDammit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:34 am

yeah, i read that too, but those don't fit either. :?
ODDammit
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

I think it becomes antisocial personality disorder

Postby sarina75 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:56 am

would be my guess. I'm no expert; just know a little. I know they're not the same, but I'm guessing the symptoms would then fall under a personality disorder, since personality disorders are not diagnosed until early adulthood. Maybe not antisocial; maybe "personality disorder N.O.S." (Not Otherwise Specified). I have a personality disorder myself, so I say this with no strace of stigmatism; they are legitimate illnesses, not "character defects," as the name would imply. But if a person is maladaptive to life in general, has rigid ways of thinking and behaving that are maladaptive and out of synch with everyone else, that is a personality disorder, whether it falls into a known one or not.

Hope this was a little helpful.
sarina75
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: adult odd?

Postby Tanis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Oh it exists.

It may not be called ODD for adults, but my husband has ALL the characteristicts. We manage just fine because I use the strategies recommended for kids (pick your battles, taking breaks to avoid accelerating conflict, praise for good behaviour, etc). I have a daughter who is very ODD as well, and have been dealing fairly well with her, but my husband was making me nuts until I applied the label to him as well. (Epiphany!!!) Mystery solved. It's all good now.
Tanis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby amysieg » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Having no luck finding info. The best advice I've heard so far is to tell them what they will do next because it is so predictable. They will then have to prove you wrong, and not do those things. I'm living a daily nightmare. I wish someone had some advice even on approaching this diagnosis to them.
amysieg
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby undenied » Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 am

I second the Personality Disorder concept. If an unhealthy childhood coping mechanism and dysfunctional behavior goes on to become a part of who you are...well that's exactly the definition of a PD.

You may want to look at Cluster B PDs in particular. I've just started looking into ODD, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gotten that Dx as a child....
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Nikito » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm

I appreciate all the information about the personality N.O.S. and ODD, it seems to be right on!
Does anyone out there know where to access information about dealing/communicating with someone who doesn't want help or admit they have a problem? My boyfriend has a child with someone who has most of the ODD symptoms and I am trying to help him positively communicate with her for the sake of their child, without him always feeling like he is letting her rule his life.
Nikito
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 pm

Postby marycarterpaint » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:12 am

ODDammit wrote:it seems not to exist, so what happens to an O.D.D child when they grow up? does it turn into something else? what? i don't get it.

after you graduate ODD, you get invited to the AsPD fraternity. watch out for the hazing! :D
I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.
- Truman
marycarterpaint
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:59 am

Postby Tempest88 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 am

My childhood ODD turned into adult AsPD (psychopathy according to two of my psychiatrists but I disagree). As an early teen conduct disorder and ADD was added on top of the ODD.
Tempest88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby geronimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 pm

I read on a site I cannot recall, I read that at 18 years old the condition is known as 'passive agression' ,
geronimo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Oppositional Defiant Disorder Forum