Our partner

adult odd?

Oppositional Defiant Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: adult odd?

Postby Giulia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Well, Dobby, actually no.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD at adulthood.

The ODD part is the same as it was in childhood. I did not get any personality disorder, nor any form of Conduct Disorder.
Morphing into something else can happen, but can also not happen. Depends of people.

I've seen a neurologist. Well, breaking news, my ADHD and its companion ODD is caused by brain damage, neurologist says so.
Giulia, adult
dx: ADHD, ODD, SPD, Maths LD, dyspraxia and Single Sided Deafness by brain injury.

tx: methylphenidate
Giulia
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby minotauros » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 pm

marycarterpaint wrote:
ODDammit wrote:it seems not to exist, so what happens to an O.D.D child when they grow up? does it turn into something else? what? i don't get it.

after you graduate ODD, you get invited to the AsPD fraternity. watch out for the hazing! :D

Some of us that had ODD and Conduct Disorder don't, we're just pains in the aesses who manage to elude such diagnoses. I thought my current psychiatrist was just making it up though. The diagnosis must really liberally be handed out...

Then again, we also get diagnosed just because society can't seem to hammer the concept of "authority" into our heads. I'm no longer with either diagnosis, nor ASPD nor any PD, but I still don't accept "authority".
Live life by the horns, or die wishing you had.
minotauros
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

Postby philylady » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:37 am

My son is 33. He was dx. ADHD ODD as a child, then bi polar. He is very difficult as an adult with his inattentiveness but seems to be more agreeable. Maybe you will learn to be more agreeable with age.
Good luck.
Philylady
philylady
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby minotauros » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm

philylady wrote:My son is 33. He was dx. ADHD ODD as a child, then bi polar. He is very difficult as an adult with his inattentiveness but seems to be more agreeable. Maybe you will learn to be more agreeable with age.
Good luck.
Philylady

Nah, they're often agreeable just as much so as children, but often have parents or adults in their lives that they disagree with alot. Sometimes, they just need perspective, at other times, they need to be taught things. It's usually not always about everyone else always being wrong. Sometimes, they just don't feel like they have much of a voice, at an age when they used to be considered adults.
Live life by the horns, or die wishing you had.
minotauros
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Auxiliary11 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Something I've always found funny about ODD is whilst it may be a disorder in the sense that people diagnosed with it don't follow order - I don't see why this label even exists besides the purpose of pigeonholing individuals who don't lick the boots of authority.

I probably had this ("disorder") to some degree whilst growing up, but now that I'm older I've developed these passive-aggressive, resentful, and vindictive tendencies. I think this is more along the lines of Negativism for me:

Persistent behavior opposite from that which is expected or requested, without any apparent reason.

Example #1:
*bobs leg up and down in frustration of the other person*
"can you stop that? it's annoying"
*bobs it up and down even more for several seconds, then complies with request*

Example #2:
*silent treatment*

I know it's unhealthy, but until I buff my severely low self-confidence it's always going to be this way. With this said I still have a limit, I'd never screw people over with this passive-aggression, and I just use it to make a point.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:56 am

Postby Kivulitaronyu » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:22 pm

It's interesting. Never quite noticed this forum existed. I'm pretty sure I had this growing up and I can't relate to passive-aggressiveness- I'm avoidant with a bunch of Depressive PD.
Kivulitaronyu
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:56 am

Postby 2blunt2sharp » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Tanis wrote:Oh it exists.

It may not be called ODD for adults, but my husband has ALL the characteristicts. We manage just fine because I use the strategies recommended for kids (pick your battles, taking breaks to avoid accelerating conflict, praise for good behaviour, etc). I have a daughter who is very ODD as well, and have been dealing fairly well with her, but my husband was making me nuts until I applied the label to him as well. (Epiphany!!!) Mystery solved. It's all good now.

Reviving this thread:
I just posted a long explanation of why I suspect Munchausen in my retired husband. I mentioned his long string of doctors who he argues with and gets fired from or who he fires. I have been slowly mastering the technique tanis gave just from being a classroom teacher for decades and am a hyper aware Aspie so no nonverbal communication slips past me. Aspergers shaped me to process emotions in a cerebral way. I have long seen patterns in people who develop all kinds of secondary dysfunctions rather than address the primary one, such as ODD as an escape from depression....or malingering from depression turning into intentional self harm. I am finding all kinds of helpful dialog by using the search function of this site. :)
2blunt2sharp
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby FreakOfTheDemonDoll » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:10 am

I had ODD behavior but only last year did a doctor bring it up.
Adult ODD can be a thing.
I've had it all my life and sadly got the news late for some reason.
FreakOfTheDemonDoll
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby JonTalbain » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm

I've often wondered myself if I have this. I have a lot of anger issues and will defy at the drop of a hat. I think a lot of it comes from being bullied a lot and having been mistreated by authority figures.
People who abuse authority infuriate me and I find myself wanting to taunt people like this and get in their faces and be like "What are you going to do about it?"
I like to piss off bullies too and disobey orders and be sarcastic to those who seem to think that they are above me in some way. I resent authority figures who let that power go to their heads and like to order people around. If they say "Shut up", I say something smart, if they say "Sit down.", I will continue to stand. It can even escalate to the point that it turns into a heated argument which I thoroughly enjoy
and then, I can get pretty mean and say some really mean things that I know are hurtful and even take pleasure in hurting that person's feelings then, gloating over the fact that I have taken them down a notch. By this point, I can become so triggered that I may continue to taunt them sadistically just to rub it in. The power trip from this can be immense. I definitely believe that this is ODD or something very similar.
JonTalbain
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby RottenFish » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:02 pm

I do believe that adult ODD exists, but I also believe it's natural to question authority. We live in an imperfect world, where many authority figures abuse their power.
Primary Dx: OCD
Meds: None

✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。
Make love. Not war.
✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。
RottenFish
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Previous

Return to Oppositional Defiant Disorder Forum