Our partner

Power....

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Power....

Postby Manners73 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 pm

What is best: inherent power or granted power?

When I was a child I was given the role of playing David in a school production of David and Goliath.

I was 6 years old and probably the smallest person in the school. I stood in the assembly hall, armed with a catapult and a piece of plasticine. I shot it across the hall to kill the giant and I hit the headmaster right in the eye.

At my young age I had been granted power and given a weapon to use and in effect I killed the giant.

I carried this granted power around with me for many years. I believed I could fight anyone no matter how.big they were and I hat I would win. I was wrong of course because I got the $#%^ kicked out of me on many occasions but I still felt this power within myself that I had been granted and I still do have to a certain extent.

My power isn't inherent by any means and to a large degree it is an illusion but nevertheless it has given me the courage (or stupidity) to confront people in higher positions than myself and to show them no fear. I believe I will possess this for ever.

So what is best; inherent or granted power?
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Power....

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 am

I'd have to go with inherent, but I don't think I really care that much about power as long as I can do what I want / what I believe in and avoid pain.
Having it seems like a lot of responsibility and upkeep.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 am

My power, if you want to call it that, comes from my belief that I can do anything. I'll take anything on that interests me and it doesn't occur to me that I might not be able to do it. In most cases I pull it off; very rarely do I fail.

I think that insecurity stops people attempting stuff, so we only really achieve a fraction of our potential, because we tell ourselves that we can't do it.

I've done some pretty remarkable stuff, mostly because I've always said yes to pretty much every opportunity that comes along. People say that impulsiveness and a lack of fear are a negative. I guess they can be, as they've got me into trouble, but they've also been the reasons why I've achieved a lot of the stuff I have.

We're all just badly-shaved apes with similar intelligence levels and strengths. If someone else can do something, there's no reason why I can't.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Esmoke » Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 am

I’m with jomp power comes from within, seeking positions of power in say politics or the business world comes along with a fair share of criticism and negative attention none of which interest me neither does the long hours or the amount of hustle needed. I prefer to spend my time doing things I like instead.

Self discipline to me is The power to do anything you chose to do.
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

Postby Esmoke » Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 am

justonemoreperson wrote:My power, if you want to call it that, comes from my belief that I can do anything. I'll take anything on that interests me and it doesn't occur to me that I might not be able to do it. In most cases I pull it off; very rarely do I fail.

I think that insecurity stops people attempting stuff, so we only really achieve a fraction of our potential, because we tell ourselves that we can't do it.

This had the opposite effect for me, I was in hindsight constantly jumping in over my head and absurdly so in some cases thinking I had enough natural talent to just figure it out as I go. Now because I’ve been burnt by myself so many times I’m overly cautious which limits my opportunity but ultimately keeps me from spinning off the road entirely so it works for me.
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

Esmoke wrote:
This had the opposite effect for me, I was in hindsight constantly jumping in over my head and absurdly so in some cases thinking I had enough natural talent to just figure it out as I go. Now because I’ve been burnt by myself so many times I’m overly cautious which limits my opportunity but ultimately keeps me from spinning off the road entirely so it works for me.

The only people who don't ###$ things up are people who don't do anything.

Forget the times you got burnt, how many times did you succeed?

Thomas Eddison failed over a thousand times before he managed to make a light bulb that worked, and he got sacked from most of his jobs for being lazy and unproductive.

You only have to succeed once to make the failures worthwhile.

Pull your head out of your arse and get on with it.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HSS » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:37 am

To me, power is firstly the awareness to be powerful, and then independence/autonomy, security, better structuring of a separated individuality, realization, self-esteem, lack of fear/its diminution, easiness. It's also about freedom and the defense of oneself 's rights.

I can't answer if it's better inherent power or granted power.
“Humor is reason gone mad."

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 pm

Postby Manners73 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:10 pm

I only happened upon the question in a story book I'm reading.

Just got me thinking.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby saucygirl31 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:55 am

id rather be granted power because rags to riches gets me off.

if your always powerful you dont appreciate it
- ur gril saucy
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:27 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 am

saucygirl31 wrote:id rather be granted power because rags to riches gets me off.

if your always powerful you dont appreciate it

Some time ago I watched a group of kids light an area of grass on fire. They lit it and then ran around trying to put it out. When they did it, they did it all again; they got a thrill of creating potential disaster and then fixing the problem.

I think we're drawn to change; it encapsulates everything that we're about. Even touch needs to have change to be felt.

Having money doesn't make anyone happy. Getting money and spending money does, so it's the change in state that motivates us.

Power represents our ability to overcome something or someone else, but if that becomes the status quo then we have nothing to be powerful over. So, we either set bigger and bigger goals, which will eventually become unachievable, or we knock what we've built down and start again.

Maybe we cause conflict because we want something to fix. Maybe we ###$ ourselves up because it gives us a lower platform to build from.

Everyone damages themselves, which should represent a failure in evolution. So, is it a failure or a way of finding meaning in what would be a mundane world if everything was working perfectly? Do we need to be self-defeating to be successful?
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post