Our partner

NPD comorbid with Bipolar Disorder

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

NPD comorbid with Bipolar Disorder

Postby JB17 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:52 am

Hey everybody. I’m wondering if I have NPD along with my already diagnosed bipolar disorder. Reasons I think I have NPD: My single mom only had me and she is a diagnosed borderline. At times she was very abusive (physically, mentally and emotionally). I had to shut down my emotional needs because they couldn’t be met.
I’m emotionally shallow. I remember being abused but I don’t really care or I come up with some excuse or sometimes I don’t think it was that bad, which at time it did get bad.
Borderlines are attracted to me and the attention from borderlines make me feel things I haven’t felt from anybody else.
My last relationship was with a Borderline and she completely destroyed me. 2 years later and the pain she caused me to feel about myself still remains.
Anyways, anytime I mention I might have NPD to any of my docs, they all say the same thing. “People with NPD don’t know they have NPD” yet I see so many self aware NPD’s here. It would really help if anybody could give me their input to settle this argument in my head all of the time. Thank you

-- Fri May 18, 2018 8:58 pm --

I also am accidentally very manipulative (as pointed out by my mom), and I can “talk the talk.” I come off as very witty and I love showing my doctors how well read I am. I don’t ever have evil thoughts or want bad things to happen to anybody but I love impressing people, especially my doctors. Just thought I should add that in there. Thank you for any input received. This has been bugging me for some time.
JB17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: NPD comorbid with Bipolar Disorder

Postby Akuma » Sat May 19, 2018 4:12 am

If you have an argument in your head whether or not you have a PD, then such an argument might be a more pressing issue to look at. Or it might be a method to not look at the more pressing issues.
dx: SPD
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JB17 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:26 am

Akuma, I think I know what you’re saying, but could you clarify a bit please? Thanks
JB17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Akuma » Sat May 19, 2018 5:00 am

"Do I have a PD" is meta-level, its taking a position where you dont have to really contact what is going on inside of you. So basically you are again shutting yourself off from what you actually want and from what you feel to retreat into a theoretical argument and into labels that won't get you anywhere except further away from yourself.
If you feel that you have some borderlinish structures in your mind you want to tackle be that a NPD structure or another, then you will need to do some long-term therapy anyways which when you find a good therapist will ebb and flow naturally without the need to create any constraints due to theoretical diagnostics.
dx: SPD
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MeAgain » Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 pm

You'll be a Borderline Narcissist with your mood swinging between your Borderline (down) personality and your narcissistic (up) personality. Borderline is the basis of Bipolar disorders.
30mg Citalopram SSRI Antidepressant
40mg Propranolol Beta Blocker

A mere imp of Satan
MeAgain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby JB17 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 am

MeAgain, thank you so much. That makes so much sense. I've been swinging between these two for years and not knowing why or which I belonged to. Each are so strong for me. Thank you.

-- Tue May 22, 2018 7:58 pm --

Thank you for the clarification Akuma. I'm in therapy right now as a matter of fact. I see you post a lot, and your answers are always some of the best responses btw.
JB17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ZombieZ » Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am

MeAgain wrote:You'll be a Borderline Narcissist with your mood swinging between your Borderline (down) personality and your narcissistic (up) personality. Borderline is the basis of Bipolar disorders.

I thought Bi polar was a chemical imbalance and borderline was a personality disorder. Or do you mean they present themselves in a similar way?
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post