Our partner

I spent all my savings and more ! Help

Gambling Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: I spent all my savings and more ! Help

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 am

Unfortunately , this is the classic gambling addiction trap . As soon as we have any kind of funds that are not spoken for ( or often , even if they are ) the addiction roars back to life to consume them . Money is its food . Money keeps it alive and growing stronger with every gamble .

This is why it is crucial to have a battle plan in place for distracting ourselves from the urges . We have to be prepared for that moment when we have money available to us because it is guaranteed to trigger the compulsion to gamble .

Idiotonaroulette wrote: Soooo... i have this idea after work, pay the court fine have a little gamble try and win some money then call the bank and cancel my debit card so il never be able to gamble again.

Whose idea was that , IOR ? Yours or your addiction's ? The answer is pretty obvious but it is vitally important to realize the difference because these "ideas" will happen again and again until you have found a way to block your access to gambling and money and learned to recognize when your addiction is trying to lure you back into the nightmare existence of compulsive gambling .

It doesn't care if it ruins you . It just wants to be fed .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby lookforward » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 am

Hi IOR,

Well I wish you to get back on your feet soon enough. I'm quite new around here, but NSR is a great advisor. Man, when you have those ideas you must fight them. You must, like we all around here, say ENOUGH!
It is never to late go restart. My advice: come to this forum everyday. Spend some time reading the encouraging stories of other members, and the difficulties we all face.
It sure is helping me now, to keep on the right path.

rgds
lookforward
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Idiotonaroulette » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 pm

I know iv said and thought this before hundreds of times before after gambling, but this is the last straw. This should be my final wakeup call, even after losing all my savings i knew i ###$ up but didnt feel this dissapointed. I even took my girlfriend for the best steak in town friday to celebrate getting back on my feet (well out of my overdraft i still owe 15k to credit cards) but i was heading the right direction. Now its gunna be another 2 month + struggle just to get back out of the overdraft :( i dunno what will happen when bills come out of my bank now as there is nothing even left in even my overdraft. Im trying to increase my overdraft but got declined. Now im on my way hone from work thinking of how i can break the news to my gf. Not a good weekend at all.
Idiotonaroulette
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm

As sad as it is , sometimes this is what it takes to bring us to that point where we have had enough .

I know you will make it through this . Look to your future - a future without gambling that is yours for the taking .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Postby Keepingsane » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 pm

It's a learning lesson don't feel discouraged. I've only been clean 12 days so far but this forum and all the members help by just listening and being there. You need to face the fact that this addiction is strong so you've got to make yourself stronger than that voice in your head. I work 15hrs a day yet found the time to gamble, now I make the time to attend GA and come on here and read.

We've all been there and still struggle, heck we've all had a relapse before becoming clean but think of it as taking your money and burning it when you gamble.
Keepingsane
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Idiotonaroulette » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:41 pm

After coming across a book in my kindle on cocaine and gambling addiction that was unread last week, I decided to give it a read. The book is what brought me back here to read my old posts so I thought I'd give you an update.

Reading back on my post I never mentioned my problem with cocaine (probably out of shame), this mixed with the gambling is a deadly combination and if anyone is experiencing this combination of addiction my prayers are with you.

I managed to escape somehow, in the middle of 2018 I split up with my girlfriend, not because of my gambling it is something that would never have worked but I'm sure it definately played it's part.

Sooo I decide I'm going to thailand after 3 years toxic relationship and a drug and gambling problem, none stop work 7 days a week, sometimes day and night I get out of my overdraft and save £3000 for my solo trip to thailand on 5th of jan 2019. I do well with not gambling and cocaine until the relapse on boxing day on the annual lads get together i take coke and gamble my £3000 saving for my holiday and I'm well into my overdraft. You can only imagine how I must have felt but I needed this break! And I'm glad I took it, I ended up staying for 6 weeks and my spending money was the remainder of my overdraft. I took this time to really reflect and really think about life and set goals. I came back and worked out my debt just over 50k!!!!!

I have always been interested in property my first house I purchased was a complete renovation I had lived in for 5 years so when I got back I sold this with a 40k profit and cleared some of the debt, put a 10k deposit down on a house to refurbish again and I rented it out just before I left for thailand again for 10 weeks In january 2020.

Now I'm back home renting an apartment looking for my next but to let property deal, I still have just over 20k in credit card debt but i have managed it so I'm not paying intrest on any of it, they will be cleared inttrest free over the next few years while my savings are now over 40k to invest in cash flowing assets.

I'm now 18 months gamble free and I had 3 or 4 cocaine relapse in that time.

Looking at my previous posts, I was in a really bad place. I'm so glad I found my way out! I hope you guys struggling can too.
Idiotonaroulette
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Previous

Return to Gambling Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post