Our partner

Systematized Dissociative Amnesia

Dissociative Amnesia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Systematized Dissociative Amnesia

Postby T.A. Anderson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 pm

*Mod Edit*
Last edited by Partial on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited PM to follow
NEO
T.A. Anderson
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby mariele » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:48 am

I don't have much experience with dissociative diagnoses, all I know is I have daydreamt my whole life away and had derealisation / depersonalisation experiences, and that a psychiatrist who assessed me thought about setting a separate diagnosis for me but then found it unnecessary. So I don't have any "proof" but from what the internet tells me forgetting a family member is basically a pretty clear sign of systematised amnesia.

And that is what has happened to me. Well I guess it's always been that way. My memories of one of my siblings start from when she was already living on her own, so I remember her from when I was.. 13-15.

It's kind of weird to logically know you have had contact with them those 15 years prior but you have no memory of any sort of mental image of how they were. It's kind of like she just popped into life when I was about 13-15.
In so many ways I'm somebody else
I'm trying so hard to be myself.
I just need to hear somebody say
That this will all make sense one day.
Well it's getting late, I'd better go
I made it this far.. as far as I know.
mariele
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Postby Una+ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

mariele wrote:forgetting a family member is basically a pretty clear sign of systematised amnesia.

Hm. Yes. There is a diagnostic tool that would be appropriate for evaluating you for additional symptoms: the SCID-D. Has that been done?

I have a similar instance in my inventory of dissociative amnesia symptoms, but I also have certain other symptoms so my diagnosis is dissociative identity disorder (which includes amnesia).
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby mariele » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Una+ wrote:Hm. Yes. There is a diagnostic tool that would be appropriate for evaluating you for additional symptoms: the SCID-D. Has that been done?

No, SCID-D hasn't. I have gone through a pretty thorough evaluation but it hasn't. SCID-I and SCID-II have been done however. The evaluation is completed unfortunately, it would have been good to know.. to try that. I guess the psychiatrist knew what she was doing. It's funny but every time I tell a psychiatrist, psychotherapist, psychologist etc that I don't remember a family member, they don't really say anything. As if it was normal.

My other dissosiative symptoms are more derealisationish, first as attacks and then last summer I felt the whole summer that it was my childhood, so in the 90's, and everything I smelled or heard, remimded me of my grandmother who did when I was 2! Logically I knew where and when I was but it all felt so 'wrong', I felt like there was reality, and then there was I living NEXT to it, but not IN it. I don't know, the whole summer was really freaky and I was hospitalised and the nurses found it intriguing I had lots of that kind of symptoms and they talked about the tolerance window since I was over it all the time, and then things like eating or sitting in a car put me under the tolerance window, and it was all just very horrible and I was so nauseous and eugh. But yeah it's all very interesting considering I have absolutely nothing that would or could have been trauma-inducing in my childhood. I don't think a grandmother's death at age 2 counts. WOW, sorry for the long rant..
In so many ways I'm somebody else
I'm trying so hard to be myself.
I just need to hear somebody say
That this will all make sense one day.
Well it's getting late, I'd better go
I made it this far.. as far as I know.
mariele
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Postby MariannneM » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 am

Hi! I have so many questions about this. I have been dissociating and having dissociative amnesia (I think, since I have been ahead of the doctors the whole time but proven right each time afterwards). It's the most curious thing you could imagine. The strange thing is that I decided to be happy, although it doesn't make any sense. Because few things make sense anyways. If you look for me, you will find me crying in front of my computer while working, ordering three cups of coffee at a restaurant and finding it normal to have several full cups in front of me, while I speak endlessly on the phone, to the guests at the next table, try to fill in little sentences in a notebook about other ideas I have for my future and wandering out into a snowy winter without a jacket on. And I have this crazy sense that everyone wants me dead and that we humans all hate each other, which makes me seem like a complete psychopath but is actually an emotional memory linked to something I still can't remember and associating feelings of sadism to my own self because I can't comprehend that I was the victim of someone who made me feel that way. I know how crazy it is, I know it's wrong. I act according to normal behaviour because, thank God, I know better. But everything is warped and I hope to hide my true emotions towards other people because my symptoms are so incredibly "freaky". It's not my fault. I'm not the freak, what is freaky is what happened to me and what was done to me, but as along as I cannot remember it, my identity carries the freakiness and people blame me, so I isolate. Can anyone identify? Lots of love and blessings and healing. Mimi
MariannneM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 pm

Postby ppp123 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 am

I've had it the other way around where I can't remember a person that other people have tried to remind me about. My mind somehow dodges them, because they were present at a stressful incident. People tried their name, described them and did an impersonation of them, but I just said their name sounded really familiar and I thought I should really know them, but I couldn't put a face to the name. Some years later though, I saw a photo with their face in it and then I knew who they were and had flashbacks of the incident. I typically find I can't tell whether my flashbacks are real or a bizarre imagination. All I know is that they are experienced as a memory and I have overwhelming emotion attached to the memory and that the emotion will eventually resolve so that it doesn't feel as severe. Sometimes, very rarely, I meet people who know my name and act really familiarly with me and I will be left somewhat dazed and might work out who they are and why I know them after a long while. It can be embarrassing and I feel rude, because it seems unfeasible I wouldn't know them. So yes, I forget people too.
ppp123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Una+ » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:54 pm

ppp123 wrote:I meet people who know my name and act really familiarly with me and I will be left somewhat dazed and might work out who they are and why I know them after a long while. It can be embarrassing and I feel rude, because it seems unfeasible I wouldn't know them. So yes, I forget people too.

Same.

I don't get why anyone wishes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mine was real. (1) Amnesia like that is real and a machine isn't necessary, and (2) amnesia causes immense distress, dysfunction, and sometimes endangerment.

But once I started closely tracking people who act like they knew me, I realized there are people who act like they know me who are literally acting.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ganjakites » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Ur apart of a world system so increasing is going well here doctor. I would make sure she doesn't need a alteration check ...It is nothing wrong with being programmed to a voice society and wanting to know more. I did this just the other day act like I know and idn't use English well enough. A voice hearer only needs to know society is safe . It doesn't mean there is bad perception it just means u got dissociative amnesia ...It doesn't mean you didn't do the work either. If there are question please inbox me. thanks
ganjakites
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 am

Previous

Return to Dissociative Amnesia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post