Our partner

Identity problems .. merging with others.. who am I?

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Identity problems .. merging with others.. who am I?

Postby Dakotaice » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:59 am

Hello all,

My last therapist told me I suffered from depersonalization and derealization. I want to know if anyone else experiences a simultaneous sense of having no fixed identity, and yet being authentic with others.

I don’t have any friends and I prefer it that way, when I’m around others I expend so much energy making them feel comfortable it exhausts me. I’ve always felt like an outsider, some detached witness peering out from a fish bowl. I see what motivates everyone, what they’re feeling and lying to themselves (or me) about. Because I feel like I can “see into” them, I get this intense compulsion (I cannot control it) to harmonize with them and bring forth their desires in the conversation (within reason). I retain my own sense of self, but I’ll adjust my tone, direct conversations and make the interaction all about them and getting them feeling good. I do this because any tension, irritance or problem within them or between us makes me feel what I can only describe as overcharged with electricity. It feels like I’m going to explode and is very uncomfortable. This feeling drives my need to harmonize, so I often repress certain aspects of myself temporarily. Again, when I do this, I know I am “molding” myself to them.

My entire life I’ve asked myself questions like “who am I?” but I have a very strong sense of self. I behave authentically and genuinely with others; when harmonizing, I find dimensions of my personality they *can* handle to express instead. So although I morph into what they need, it’s still a version of me if that makes sense. And yet I’ve always felt as if there was this “other” inside me asking who I am. Is it possible to be an honest and sincere person who knows their strengths and weaknesses, and yet still feel as if my identity is not mine?

I live inside my own world, full of archetypes and symbols, that satisfy me more deeply than interaction with others, whom I find draining. I have come to the conclusion “God” is the true Self, something I have managed to meet in this lifetime. My passions are psychoanalysis, alchemy, philosophy, and writing poetry. Could this disorder relate to identity and perhaps philosophy/spirituality?

Any help is much appreciated!
Dakotaice
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post