Our partner

DAI think IQ Tests make you feel like i a complete idiot?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

DAI think IQ Tests make you feel like i a complete idiot?

Postby ApprenticeOfGames » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm

I have never done a formal IQ test but all the more advanced ones that aren't just random IQ Tests that are on a website for fun just make me feel like a right idiot... Maybe i am choosing the wrong ones to do but i did find the one i am trying to do (https://wechslertest.com) always seem to start with stuff i can never seem to do or at least not quickly which i find strange if you know what i mean.

I got grade Cs and Bs in school mostly mind you i just scraped by in passing maths and failed some to me less important subjects but still... Idk what i am expecting posting this here . Seriously though i am not all that dumb in my opinion and can figure most things out but there are just certain things i am completely useless at doing. I quit college multiple times but it wasn't because it was too hard just i had trouble coping with the environment...
A 19 year old diagnosed Aspie with most of the traits of a person with Schizoid Personality Disorder.

Also an aspiring writer of stories. Currently working on finding the motivation needed for this sort of dedicated career but i believe i can get the job done well if ya know what i mean, so yea... Fight on me, fight!
ApprenticeOfGames
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: DAI think IQ Tests make you feel like i a complete idiot?

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:47 pm

even if i had the time to do this sort of stuff, which i don't, i wouldn't. you are what you are (even god said that). doing tests isn't going to change that. it isn't even going to teach you anything much either. success in life is an almost intangible thing. it's really all in the mind. if you keep holding onto the idea that you're in some way not successful enough, for sure, life will be a self-fulfilling prophesy. far better to follow your dreams and let success chase you, rather than the other way around.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:35 am

Postby serpand » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 am

Intelligence is very hard to quantify because it depends on a variety of factors which are not easily grasped. Also your mood may undermine the test.

Tests are important to help us find our vocations, where we should invest our time at, to tap into our hidden potential.

Each of us has a set of traits which, according to context, may prove useful or detrimental, and so we all have our own type of intelligence. If you change context you may find your structure is more adequate to a different environment.

To feel superior because you scored high is just has bad as to feel inferior because you scored low.
These tests don't make it easier to accept yourself as you are, they create inner conflict, as if you don't have enough stuff to deal with.
serpand
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby shock_the_monkey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm

serpand wrote:Tests are important to help us find our vocations, where we should invest our time at, to tap into our hidden potential.

... emm? not so sure about this myself. just because you appear to be good at something doesn't necessarily mean you need to pursue that something to have a fulfilling life. and not every aspect of life is so easily quantified. there are lots of things that are utterly intangible. if i had my time over, i'd have done things radically differently. however, that assumes the hindsight that the choices i did make have given me. at the time i made what i thought were sound and rational justifications for my choices. looking back, i can't help but feel that i followed my head rather than my heart. no test is ever going to tell you which dreams to follow.
now i'm on my knees

i can't take any more

shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: DAI think IQ Tests make you feel like i a complete idiot

Postby ogr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:08 pm

You shouldn't really trust IQ tests.

When I was 11, we went to the millennium dome, where I got an it test done. I scored high with an in of 177. This IQ test results was used in my diagnosis and was given Asperger's syndrome. Less than 5 years ago, I was retested for autism, where I took a different IQ test, where I got a low score, about 85.

I looked back at my test I did when I was 11, it was 90% about my favourite subject science.

The latest test was based on language, math and science.

Basically each test is different.
Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2002
Re-diagnosed with High functioning Autism in 2010.
Re-diagnosed with Medium functioning Autism in 2012.
Diagnosed with dyslexia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dysgraphia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyscalculia in 2000
ogr
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ApprenticeOfGames » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 pm

I guess i was kind of just looking for reassurance i could do decently at life as i was in a low mood and adding more self doubt to my already hard to motivate doubtful brain is not a good combination i have found. I was looking back on my college life and the work i did there and all my expectations and why getting mediocre marks seemed so much more impactful then when i only revised a little for school exams and got average grades.

Still whatever life throws at me. I am still working on my goals in life but the slow progress is never enough for my pride but i would say say i am little bit more content now as i did a bit of soul searching recently after this thread was posted and found small but meaningful thing as a result. Thanks everyone for responding, it is much appreciated and i hope your lives keep on the right track even if they aren't at the moment, don't give up i say :)
A 19 year old diagnosed Aspie with most of the traits of a person with Schizoid Personality Disorder.

Also an aspiring writer of stories. Currently working on finding the motivation needed for this sort of dedicated career but i believe i can get the job done well if ya know what i mean, so yea... Fight on me, fight!
ApprenticeOfGames
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby serpand » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:19 pm

shock_the_monkey wrote:
serpand wrote:Tests are important to help us find our vocations, where we should invest our time at, to tap into our hidden potential.

... emm? not so sure about this myself. just because you appear to be good at something doesn't necessarily mean you need to pursue that something to have a fulfilling life. and not every aspect of life is so easily quantified. there are lots of things that are utterly intangible. if i had my time over, i'd have done things radically differently. however, that assumes the hindsight that the choices i did make have given me. at the time i made what i thought were sound and rational.

Maybe I got carried away but what I meant to say is that is much more important to know where to invest your time than to quantify how smart you suppose to be. How to best invest your time is crucial, and its something you change along the way. I made many mistakes, and I want younger people not to repeat them. I didn't specify, but time should be invested in what makes you function properly, and then in other people.

ogr wrote:You shouldn't really trust IQ tests.

When I was 11, we went to the millennium dome, where I got an it test done. I scored high with an in of 177. This IQ test results was used in my diagnosis and was given Asperger's syndrome. Less than 5 years ago, I was retested for autism, where I took a different IQ test, where I got a low score, about 85.

I looked back at my test I did when I was 11, it was 90% about my favourite subject science.

The latest test was based on language, math and science.

Basically each test is different.

I did a vocation test and IQ when I was about that age and it basically said I had reasonable IQ, and should become a writer. I was very slow performing the test, has I am slow assimilating any information. This doesn't mean I can't process it. I am not a writer but that result was obvious to me has i was into books at the time and basically answered everything with that in mind.
serpand
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby shock_the_monkey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 am

if you look at the lives of people that have achieved something, what you actually find is that their achievement is very often dependent on circumstances over which they had no direct control. they just happened to be in the right place at the right time. their ability is often very secondary to that. there are a few exceptions to this. people like alan turin spring to mind. yet charles babbage, who was arguably also a genius, failed to achieve his dreams. possibly he was simply too far ahead of his time. and someone like albert einstein, who is universally accepted as a genius for his theory of relativity, was actually not very academically gifted at all. and there is an irony to this, as people who find themselves almost accidentally thrown into the spotlight of the public imagination find - fame can actually be a very negative influence on their lives. it seems that neil armstrong felt undeserving of the fame that came with being the first man on the moon. people often don't know what they've got until it's gone. and one's anonymity is certainly in that category. we can search all our lives for something that will in some way distinguish us, however, should we actually achieve this, living with it can be, shall we say, difficult.
now i'm on my knees

i can't take any more

shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6